Cycle paths in London

ozbikeman
ozbikeman Posts: 13
edited July 2009 in Commuting chat
Does anyone else get pissed off by parked cars in the bike lanes? I don't see the point of having cycle lanes if cyclist have to ride around parked cars in the bike lane. It would be safer for eveyone if they banned cars from cycle lanes becasuse then cars will know what we are doing and we will know what there are doing, this just makes sence. If any cars do park in the cycle lane they should be fined at least £100 and the money used to upgrade and make cycle paths safer. Let me know what eveyone thinks becasue if we get enough support then something can get done to make it safer.

Comments

• It's not just a London thing, and I think you'll have a hard time convincing anyone to care (in one city I lived in some of the worst offenders for parking in cycle lanes were cops stocking up on doughnuts and coffee).
    It would be nice if people would pay the slightest bit of attention to road markings, but the best solution would seem to be ignoring the cycle lanes and cycling assertively on the road, where you have every right to be, and where you'll be safer.
  • rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    cycle lanes are not mandatory to cars unless it is a solid white line.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Hishway code rule 240:
    You MUST NOT stop or park on a tram or cycle lane during its period of operation

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /DG_069860
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    I don't think I've ever seen a traffic warden booking a car for being parked in a cycle lane, which is saying a lot considering what ruthless opportunistic bastards control parking in most London boroughs. I personally don't mind using road side cycle lanes but won't use the 'on pavement' sort.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    If I can't park on a tram where CAN I park!
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    rhann wrote:
    cycle lanes are not mandatory to cars unless it is a solid white line.

I'm not sure that the solid white line makes any real difference - these aren't enforced by the police either.

I believe the Highway code states that cars must stay out of cycle lanes as much as is practically possible - but judging by central London - I see no effort made by drivers to stay out of cycle lanes, not even when there's a cyclist using it!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I don't think I've ever seen a traffic warden booking a car for being parked in a cycle lane, which is saying a lot considering what ruthless opportunistic bastards control parking in most London boroughs. I personally don't mind using road side cycle lanes but won't use the 'on pavement' sort.
    Me neither. Could be not their jurisdiction as breaking a 'MUST NOT' rule is a criminal offence*

NKR really annoys me. Loads of ped crossings/crossing islands and muppets parked inbetween. Grr. Often there is a driving instructor's car parked on the cycle lane near the bridge junction. Double grr.

* says so on intro page to highway code
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • ozbikeman
    Do u guys think if we got enough cyclist together and got them to sign a partition and told it to the "Powers to Be" they would do anything about it?

I agree that most drivers don't care, but if in current time if the fine for parking or driving in cycle lannes was big enough I think people mit start caring, do u agree??
  • I'm going to remain skeptical on this one...some guy pulled into the bike lane right in front of me today and parked up, he looked at me like I had just descended from the planet Mars when I suggested he should consider parking in the empty parking bay 20m further up the road.
  • ozbikeman
    Should run a poll on weather a partition "to get cars banned from driving or parking in cycle lane" will change anything?
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    There aren't many cycle lanes it's not legal to park in, or even drive on.

If cyclists start getting militant about cars on cycle lanes what's to stop motorists getting militant aount cyclists in car lanes?

Also, with mandatory cycle lanes (ones bounded by a white line) it's illegal for cars to cross the white line, I think it's also illegal for cycles to too right?
  • Porgy
    prj45 wrote:

If cyclists start getting militant about cars on cycle lanes what's to stop motorists getting militant aount cyclists in car lanes?
    Because there's no such thing as a car lane.
    Also, with mandatory cycle lanes (ones bounded by a white line) it's illegal for cars to cross the white line, I think it's also illegal for cycles to too right?

no - common misconception - it only applies to motor vehicles.
  • Porgy
    ozbikeman wrote:
    Do u guys think if we got enough cyclist together and got them to sign a partition and told it to the "Powers to Be" they would do anything about it?

I agree that most drivers don't care, but if in current time if the fine for parking or driving in cycle lannes was big enough I think people mit start caring, do u agree??

I assume you mean petition?

In which case - why the obsession with petitions. They achieve little or nothing usually. How about joining an existing campaign group - who already lobby on that issue - or if they don't you can persuade them to start.

If you're in London you might want to try the LCC.
  • prj45 wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's not legal to park in the ones that are also decorated with double yellow lines, or a big sign that says bus lane - happily for cars though, as long as you are half on the pavement and have your shopping...I mean hazard lights on, you're good to go.