Specialized Allez 2009 Chain Advice

jarrvo
jarrvo Posts: 47
edited July 2009 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Im after a little advice on the correct/good chain for my Spec Allez 2009 (double).
After completing the L2B the whole bike is in need of a little tlc with the chain a lovelly black colour, which im going to clean this evening as its my first free night :)

After having a rather nasty fall off (broken arm, 2 broken ribs and a dislocated shoulder) my mountain bike in february due to a chain snapping im a little weary of having it happen again, so if it looks like it needs replacing whats the reccomended replacement?

I got the SRAM PC-971 for my mtb, would this be a good option?

thanks

jarv.
Kuota Kharma 2011

Comments

• soveda
    soveda Posts: 306
    Are you sure you need a new chain? How many miles has it done? Clean and lube it, if it runs freely then great!
    I like SRAM chains for the MTB, what groupset are you running? Would help people to advise specific chains.
  • jarrvo
    hi,

Im not sure whether the chain will need replacing but it did slip a few times while out riding last week which could just be the amount of gunk its picked up over the weekend, im going to give it a good clean tonight and see what state its in.

The bike is mostly stock apart froma new front rim, so its the original groupset.
    Derailleur : Front - Shimano Sora, Rear - Shinano Tiagra
    Casette: Shimano Sora 9, double.

Im doing around 100+ miles a week, for the last 3 months.

Just wondering if needed i could pop my unused Sram pc-971 on?
    Kuota Kharma 2011
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    I got the SRAM PC-971 for my mtb, would this be a good option?

If your PC-971 is a 9 speed chain it will be ok, however it will most likely be too long so you will have to shorten it to the same length as the original.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • jarrvo
    Thanks, after giving it a good degreasing the chain looks fine to my untrained eyes so i dropped it off at the LBS for a service :)

hopefully it will be back to normal for tomorrow mornings ride :)

cheers
    Kuota Kharma 2011
  • soveda
    soveda Posts: 306
    I've been advised that it is worth replacing the chain every 1000 miles so as to save on the cost of cassettes!
    It sounds like you may be getting a call from the LBS to ask if you want to replace the chain.
    Get yourself a chain checker, it will pay for itself!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Okay, you could just guess and replace it when it skips or you're bored or whatever.

Or you can do it properly and get a chain checker, they're not hugely expensive and and prolong your drivetrain life considerably. Replace the chain before it gets to 1% wear and you should get 2-3 chains to a set of sprockets. If it's past 1% ride it until it skips.

On your mtb you probably damaged the chain somehow causing a weak link.
  • jarrvo
    Thanks for the advice, i will look into getting a chain checker to be honest i never knew such existed !

Turns out the chain is fine just a combination of dirt & grease plus the gears needed a minor adjustment.
    Its now running perfectly again :)
    Kuota Kharma 2011