Best forks for hardtail carrying heavy git fast DH?

billtongmckinleysons
edited July 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi wise MTBers,

I have a new Genesis Altitude 20, a steel hardtail, which I am very much enjoying hurtling down the South and North Downs, and pootling up and across hills and trails.

I am an ex-rugby guy, and currently weigh 18 stone on the nose, tho' this is heading downwards gradually (but won't get below 16.5). So there's a fair job to be done in smoothing out the physics of my ride :lol:

Currently have 'Rock Shox Revalation 409 Dual Air, 115mm, Motion Control' which are fine so far, but I do properly tank it downhill (and enjoy every fricking second) and want to hit Cwm Carn / Glentress and so on for the very occasional trip away to do 'proper' DH.

What would be a very good appropriate upgrade fork for these needs and current setup?

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Billtong
Rides Genesis Altitude 20 hard down hill and slow up hill in the South East of England.

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    How much fork length can you run in that frame? Pikes seem a natural choice, if it'll take a 130mm-140mm fork...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    130 I think. Is a tough bike, but proper DH will kill it. Quickly.
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    Maverick DUC32s...
    Light, shortened 'climbing mode' and totally tunable, sorted!
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • Thanks for suggestions guys. Appreciate it.

Why would Maverick DUCs be better than Pikes?
    Rides Genesis Altitude 20 hard down hill and slow up hill in the South East of England.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    DUCs would be lighter but not better

Pike Uturn coils with an uprated spring (the standard one will be too soft for you) is the answer I think. They're around 1/2 a kilo lardier than the revelation (which is a very good fork btw) but bulletproof. You will need a new front hub/wheel unless yours is convertible or you're using a '09 20mm rev already. For the DUC, iirc these all need a specific Maverick hub. SS is right though, don't be surprised if you crack teh frame before long if you really hoon it on DH
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • A wonderful and useful response Bomberesque - thanks man.

I am alarmed that I may crack a Reynolds steel frame :shock:
    I already hoon it down quite tasty trails but not granite or proper mountain stuff.
    Oh well, let's see what happens 8)

Thanks again for the useful responses guys.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    depends how it has been built and how you ride it. I have a reynolds 853 steel frame aswell, but it's an Evil Sovereign and 6.2 lbs of mountain eating monster (with a Pike on the front) 8)

A light weight XC frame though is a different issue, whatever it's made of. I say enjoy it, a steel frame can be mended much easier than an alu one, looking it up that is one tasty bike for the money, you can be asked to pay 800 just for an 853 frame.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Ballacks! I don't have Revelation Shox, I have Recon...
    Oh well, sounds like Pike is still the recommendation.

Cheers.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    billtongmckinleysons

but you will need a new front wheel/hub.

your current forks will be fine. if you use the bike for what it was designed for.

but you may want to look at the usage and the cost to sort the bike against the right bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • elPedro666
    Not sure that isn't a very appropriate bike, if by 'downhill' Billtong means 'normal' trails, pointed downwards, as oppose to Fort Bill...

Billtong?

Reason I recommend the DUC is it's really tuneable (and serviceable), at home, with no special tools, spare parts (like springs) or great knowledge, which makes them very cheap in the long term.

I did forget to mention the hub though :oops: Although I got mine second-hand with a wheel thrown in, making them a total bargain! 8)

Think they're about £50 otherwise, then take your pick of rims...

Last thing - got to agree that's a great looking bike, especially for the money!
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    Red X-Lite bling
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    another vote for pike
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    The rev's are great forks, but now you reveal that its actualy recons....... well i would put in another vote for pikes, although the mavericks are suposed to be VERY good, my mate swears by them, the marazzochi 55 would also be worth a look, heavy though, although posibly more reliable.it all depends on budget. the pike and 55 come in different travel, and damping varients, so a choice has to be made, that incudes travel too. and, unless you already have one, you may need a new hub for a the 15/20 mmm axle
    I like bikes and stuff
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    the marazzochi 55 would also be worth a look, heavy though, although posibly more reliable.

*snigger*
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    marzocchi, reliable... lol

Pikes, bombproof. The coil u-turn with a heavy spring would be perfect.
  • joshtp
    BlackSpur wrote:
    the marazzochi 55 would also be worth a look, heavy though, although posibly more reliable.

*snigger*
    you seem to disagree? why would the 55 not be a viable alternative, Marazzochi, and infact anyone that isnt RS or fox seem to get laughed at nowadays, but the truth is they make good forks, if you are laghuing at the reliabilaty issue, well, some 55's have been reported as unreliable, but some are praised for their reliability, hailed as exelent forks!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • joshtp
    marzocchi, reliable... lol

Pikes, bombproof. The coil u-turn with a heavy spring would be perfect.
    yes the pikes are bombproof, but the 55's are as well, well most of them are.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • ride_whenever
    marzocchi have had a couple of years of poor reliability, they claim to have fixed things for this year. But I wait to see if they actually have.
  • joshtp
    sorry what make is the fork on the front of the "silly little bike" i cant quite make it out, is it, um , oh yes MARAZZOCHI, the DJ is one very good, RELIABLE fork.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • ride_whenever
    from everal years ago, when they were reliable. Which is why i bought them, I wouldn't buy the new DJ as they've kept reducing the spec. If i were to buy new forks i'd get toras or argyles.

But tbh, the silly little bike is my play bike. I have it for messing about on, and i doubt i'll replace anything on it, not needing one new set of wheels and wanting another atm!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The rev's are great forks, but now you reveal that its actualy recons....... well i would put in another vote for pikes, although the mavericks are suposed to be VERY good, my mate swears by them, the marazzochi 55 would also be worth a look, heavy though, although posibly more reliable.it all depends on budget. the pike and 55 come in different travel, and damping varients, so a choice has to be made, that incudes travel too. and, unless you already have one, you may need a new hub for a the 15/20 mmm axle

Nowt wrong with recons!
  • joshtp
    from everal years ago, when they were reliable. Which is why i bought them, I wouldn't buy the new DJ as they've kept reducing the spec. If i were to buy new forks i'd get toras or argyles.

But tbh, the silly little bike is my play bike. I have it for messing about on, and i doubt i'll replace anything on it, not needing one new set of wheels and wanting another atm!
    fair nough, i cant be bothered to argue anymore, the pikes are beter, and marazzochi are still good, if not that reliable
    end of
    I like bikes and stuff
  • elPedro666

fair nough, i cant be bothered to argue anymore, the pikes are beter, and marazzochi are still good, if not that reliable
    end of

And Mavericks the best... :wink: :twisted:
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    Red X-Lite bling
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
  • nicklouse
    elPedro666 wrote:

end of

And Mavericks the best... :wink: :twisted:

at what? :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Knobbing kelly mcgillis.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • nicklouse
    Northwind wrote:
    Knobbing kelly mcgillis.

you take my breath away :wink:
  • elPedro666
    Just poking fun at the slightly fruitless argument :wink:
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    Red X-Lite bling
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
  • elPedro666
    EDIT
    Friendly, good-natured fun! :roll:

(I have a small, fragile glass house, with 'bike pedant' written under the bell)
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    Red X-Lite bling
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
  • elPedro666
    Northwind wrote:
    Knobbing kelly mcgillis.

Sometimes they are a bit sticky in the mornings...
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    Red X-Lite bling
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
  • joshtp
    Northwind wrote:
    Knobbing kelly mcgillis.
    knobbing kelly who?
    I like bikes and stuff
  • elPedro666
    Northwind wrote:
    Knobbing kelly mcgillis.
    knobbing kelly who?

We have a young'un in our midst!

If you google her, be aware that amongst the images of her as the wet dream of a million young boys, are many images of her as a naked old lesbian, looking not dissimilar to Judy Dench (I imagine)...
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    Red X-Lite bling
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs