recovery food/suppliments

wheelz1
wheelz1 Posts: 2
i`ve just taken up mtbing and am keen to go racing. I`m a former athletics sprinter and then coach but was wondering whats the best foods/suppliments to eat/take after a training session.I expect they`re simular to what i used to take but am after some advice please. :P

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Good hearty meal works well for most ie pasta with tuna and a bit of cheese for carbs, protein and a lot of vitamins and minerals with the tomato sauce.

Easier and quicker solution is a milkshake.
  • You could try making your own energy bars and drinks? Google results for energy bar recipes and energy drink recipes.
    Starting Weight: 25 st 13.44 lbs - On: 20/05/09
    Current Weight: 16 st 7 lbs - On: 10/11/12
    Weight Loss: 9 st 6.44 lbs
    Current BMR: 2095 Calories
  • supersonic wrote:
    Good hearty meal works well for most ie pasta with tuna and a bit of cheese for carbs, protein and a lot of vitamins and minerals with the tomato sauce.

Easier and quicker solution is a milkshake.
    Sounds good to me.
    Eat within 2 hours of exercise as your body will be absorbing more carbs.... the sooner your eat the better.
  • 77ric
    77ric Posts: 601
    i've got a roadie bud who swears by amino acid tablets from Holland and Barret. I'm not sure what amino acids in particular, i'll need to find out and i'll post back. anyhoos he reckons they speed up recovery no end.

Edit

i'm not certain but i think it's these or something similar

there derived from hydrolyzed proteins so they'll not be veggie safe incase you are one.
    Fancy a brew?
  • basically a different take on whey powder.... providing amino acids to help synthesize protein and can also be used to produce energy..... depending on what amino acids are actually contained in the tablets.

I'm fairly against muscle gaining + recovery supplements + tablets. I've tried them once, didn't like it and have never gone back. The correct diet for your body's need is a much better supplement than manufactured rubbish IMO.
  • hoponbaby
    hoponbaby Posts: 22
    try sis rego recovery and a banana after your workout..i could'nt for the life of me imagine trying to consume a large meal after a 2/3 hour bike ride..the first 20 mins after exercise is when your body is graving to be refuelled..waiting two hours to try and restore glycogen in your muscles is a big no no..
    20 mins after exercise fast acting carbs and fast absorbing protein..
    within 2 hours of riding whole garin carbs meat and plenty of green veg and a healthy fat source olive oil is good..maybe a handful of almonds/cashew nuts or my favourite at the moment organic peanut butter..
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    basically a different take on whey powder.... providing amino acids to help synthesize protein and can also be used to produce energy..... depending on what amino acids are actually contained in the tablets.

I'm fairly against muscle gaining + recovery supplements + tablets. I've tried them once, didn't like it and have never gone back. The correct diet for your body's need is a much better supplement than manufactured rubbish IMO.

Although supplements are not natural, if you're cycling hard and doing other sports as well as doing weights at the gym etc you're pushing your body through more than is natural which perhaps calls for specifically designed nutrition? Formula 1 cars don't drive on your run of the mill unleaded that you would stick in the 4 door family saloon!

I always eat healthy food. My partner is into the whole macrobiotic food thing, but I still feel a few carefully selected supplements are helpful. I take glucosamine and chondroitin to protect my joints from running and cycling related injury, garlic oil for general health and to prevent colds and flu etc, cod liver oil for joints, skin and brain and drink protein after the gym.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.