Zipp 808 v Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLR

NORTHERNER33
NORTHERNER33 Posts: 41
edited July 2009 in Road buying advice
I want to purchase a quality rear clincher aero wheel and had narrowed the choice down to either the Zipp 808 or Mavic Cosnic Carbone SLR but need advice? I know the Zipp is the heavier of the 2 but what would be the fastest and the most durable on the road?

Comments

• a dumb question to ask i guess?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    The 808 is more aero than the SLR. The SLRs have fat spokes which aren't properly aero.

I don't know whether the issues relate to the 808s too, but I've heard far too many stories of poor Zipp builds by the UK importer to be entirely confident in buying them.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • thanks I had heard something similar regarding Uk quality
  • James_London
    James_London Posts: 530
    An aero front will in general be more beneficial than an aero rear if you don't have one of those already.

Between SLRs and 808 clinchers, the 808s will win for aerodynamics. The SLR spoke holes are a disaster! 808s are a little easier to service than the SLRs if that matters to you. Pick a set up from the States or get them checked by a decent wheelbuilder if you're not happy with a UK build. Zipp bearings/hubs are also better than Mavic IME. With 808s the hub flanges on the 2009 version are deeper, improving stiffness of the previously rather wiggly rear. If you're over 75kg, 2009 might be a better option than 2008 808s.

If you get the SLRs, check out the MP3 cover which I assume Mavic are now offering in the UK. A buddy wrote his off on the first ride by shifting a badly adjusted mech into the rear spokes. That said. the performance difference between the SL and SLR doesn't really justify the price premium.
  • Thanks for the advice- much better than the last crazy guy- an idiot himself!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Thanks for the advice- much better than the last crazy guy- an idiot himself!

Huh?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    NORTHERNER33 wrote:
    Thanks for the advice- much better than the last crazy guy- an idiot himself!

Huh?

Must be your sig line, Red.