camping

lawman
lawman Posts: 6,868
edited July 2009 in The Crudcatcher
bloody tents. how come the most simple form of holiday that is camping be so bloody complicated :evil:

i mean it took me three hours to put up and 2 to put down

anyone else suffer similar issues???

Comments

• docker0141
    docker0141 Posts: 605
    i love camping, mainly because its a weekend without the parents :D. some tents are easier than others to put up, the tent i use is pretty easy to put up, it only takes us about an hour to take up and put down
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    yer i love usually cos we canoe to a field then get absoltulely bladered

thats if we havent drunk all the beer already :lol:
  • keirtristan
    keirtristan Posts: 296
    lawman wrote:
    bloody tents. how come the most simple form of holiday that is camping be so bloody complicated :evil:

You want a 2second tent. Went away last summer, and I was sat drinking beer after 2 mins, tent up, watching my friends fight with their house sized 4 bedroom tent!!
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    Camping is great! I love to go whenever I can, though I need a new tent as I forgot to air my last one after using it and the inner tent is mouldy now :(

As long as the campsite is away from traffic, and in beautiful countryside, I love it!
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Yep. Tis good laugh!

Tents are easy when you're as awsome as me! :lol:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Camping is good fun.
    I did, however, leave every single one of my tent pegs in Les Gets last year. DAMMIT!.
    Tent was flooded (fun in itself in the "always look on the bright side" kind of way!) and it was chucking it down, so we rushed it. DOH!

Also, when we camped in the Isle of Man several years ago, one of the guys was commenting on how small his tent packed up, whilst the rest of us kept asking if he was sure the poles were in there, as it was REALLY small.
    He insisted it was fine, it was some uber-expensive super-comapct tent, or somesuch crap.

We got to the campsite, unpacked, and sure enough, his tentpoles weren't in the pack. He phoned his fiancee, who said the poles were still on the patio, and that she didn't call him to say so, because she thought they were garden canes he was using to dry it out after washing it :roll:
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Camping is cool. Tents are generally a girls thing though, get some Bear Griddles down ya, get bivvie'd up wilderness stylee eat a dead dogs knob and whatnot.
  • Anonymous
    i absolutely love campin, i reckon it is all that is good about people and the world in general.

my fave place to go is blackberry woods near brighton, you get your own private glade and can have a fire and whatnot, absolutely awesome.
  • boogercj
    boogercj Posts: 316
    edited July 2009
    Camping's awesome, and I barely go on a holiday that isn't camping. Got one of these: http://soulpad.co.uk/sanctuary/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,132/category_id,6/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/

as well, and it's a doddle to put up. 8)

+1 on Blackberry Wood - fantastic place, if you can ever get a booking that is!
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Tents are generally a girls thing though,.

Girl's thing??

:shock: what alternative universe do you come from? :shock:
  • Anonymous
    yeah camping is good, not in winter or with someone in next tent who snores.......!
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    yeehaamcgee Where abouts did you stay when you were over here in the IOM?
    Were you here for any particular event or anything?
    most important question(s) did you bring the bike and did you enjoy it?
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Porgy wrote:
    Girl's thing??

:shock: what alternative universe do you come from? :shock:

Bear Griddle's ;)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Camping is awesome... Love it. Nothing quite like sitting around a fire with a few tins then going to bed in a field.

Though it does help to have good kit, me and a bunch of mates were camping at strathfillan, on the west highland way, at the weekend and it was pelting down on friday night. I lay serenely listening to the rain from within my impenetrable rainproof bunker, happy as larry... But there were some soggy people in the morning :lol:

Only downer is that I'm quite bad for taking too much stuff, so while I can pitch and strike my tent pretty fast despite it being a sturdy, decent sized 2-man job, it takes me ages to pack.

I want a campervan. A camper Delica in fact, so I can drive anywhere and just stop and be home for the night. Or a converted landrover ambulance. Or maybe a synchro.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    yeehaamcgee Where abouts did you stay when you were over here in the IOM?
    Were you here for any particular event or anything?
    most important question(s) did you bring the bike and did you enjoy it?

I came over with a bunch of friends for a stag do, there was no particular occasion going on in the Isle itself, although we did go to watch some great local motorcycle racing, and sidecars.

We did have bikes, yes, but they weren't pushbikes!
    And, unfortunately, I was a pillion, on a race tuned fireblade :D
    My brother was killed in a motorcycle accident several years ago, and if I got myself a bike, my entire family would disown me, sadly.
    If I ever emmigrate somewhere far enough away, then I'd be straight into the nearest motorbike dealer :lol:
  • Northwind
    Oh, since we're having a camping thead... My tent's pretty ace, but it does boil in sunlight, and I'm not a morning person so I hate that 10am furnace effect. It's double skinned so not as bad as some, but is this something that I can do anything about? Are there better tents out there for this sort of thing?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • boogercj
    boogercj Posts: 316
    Northwind wrote:
    Oh, since we're having a camping thead... My tent's pretty ace, but it does boil in sunlight, and I'm not a morning person so I hate that 10am furnace effect. It's double skinned so not as bad as some, but is this something that I can do anything about? Are there better tents out there for this sort of thing?

Have you ever tried a canvas tent? My "Soulpad" (linked above) is canvas and it's great in the sun; keeps everything really cool, compared to a double skin, nylon tent. Also, the sides roll up on mine which creates a wicked shelter. Only negative thing is the weight, but that's not a problem if you camp out the back of a car :wink:
  • All of my childhood memories are camping and MTB holidays as a nipper.

We had a huge (14man) trailer tent which was bloody awesome (considering only 5 of us stayed in it :lol: )

Its great fun, and (even though it doesn') makes you feel like you've gone back to basics.
    Plus theres no TV, so you actually have to interact with other people :lol:

My GF doesn't get camping. She'd rather lay out in the sun in eatpizza or whatever its called. Fair enough I enjoy a bitta sun and the relaxation, but I don't half get bored after a few days!
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    lawman wrote:

That's because you bought a cheap tent, should of got a coleman or vango, 15 minutes for me when i went to global gathering, some plank still landed on it though. :roll: :lol:
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I fail to see how any tent can take 3 hours to put up? Even the cheap ones are relatively easy.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    My cheap ass two man tents takes me less than ten minutes to put up, and thats with a beer in hand!

Think I'm camping in a couple of weeks time, then I've got Kendal Calling and Leeds festival too 8) :D
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Northwind
    boogercj wrote:
    Have you ever tried a canvas tent? My "Soulpad" (linked above) is canvas and it's great in the sun; keeps everything really cool, compared to a double skin, nylon tent. Also, the sides roll up on mine which creates a wicked shelter. Only negative thing is the weight, but that's not a problem if you camp out the back of a car :wink:

Almost all of my camping is done by motorbike or by shanks' pony so that doesn't look like a very good option- very cool though!
    BlackSpur wrote:
    I fail to see how any tent can take 3 hours to put up? Even the cheap ones are relatively easy.

Our 8-man frame tent takes about that long to assemble, with a team of sherpas, 2 bricklayers and a crane.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    Yeah I have to agree. By the last night of Leeds festival I'm ready for home. Baby wipe washes only take the edge of the grottiness :lol:
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3