New Cycle Advice

iGlaswegian
iGlaswegian Posts: 87
edited July 2009 in Road buying advice
I feel like such an idiot coming to these forums, everyone on here seems to know what they want and I have no clue - despite cycling for over 2 years now. Forgive the 'noobness'.

I'll give it a shot nevertheless.

At present, i've got a Klein mountain bike (changed the tyres to road standards). Nothing wrong with the bike itself, i've grown in height and require a new bike (I am told that I need a bigger 'frame'??).

Here's a current video of my bike (YouTube): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR_X7UrQ00c

My question is, I am looking for a similar sort of bike to this i.e. lightweight. What am I specifically looking for and could someone literally spoon feed me as to where I should get this from i.e. shop name or online web store. I am useless with the hardware part to cycles and would appreciate any feedback. My budget: if I could keep it to below £500, I would be happy.

[url][/url][url][/url]

Comments

• flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Are you looking for a road bike or a mountain bike?
  • Just a normal road bike. I don't know whether it would be cheaper getting a mountain bike and changing the tyres to road ones... like I had done with the current Klein bike I had?

On a side note, i've spoke to a few people who said to avoid Halfords cause they pretty much rip you off? Is this true?

p.s. thanks for replying mate, its appreciated.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    A bit of terminology to get you started.

To most people on this forum - a road bike - is what you might know as a racer - is simple terms - they have big thin wheels - and curly handlebars.

A mountain bike - even with non knobbly tyres - is still a mountain bike.

to complicate matters further - there are some road bikes - with flat handlebars - these are known as hybrids.

your first step would be to decide which of the above type of bikes you want. - If you want an MTB or mountain bike - I would repost your enquiry on the MTB section ...other than that keep posting here
  • kingrollo wrote:
    A bit of terminology to get you started.

To most people on this forum - a road bike - is what you might know as a racer - is simple terms - they have big thin wheels - and curly handlebars.

A mountain bike - even with non knobbly tyres - is still a mountain bike.

to complicate matters further - there are some road bikes - with flat handlebars - these are known as hybrids.

your first step would be to decide which of the above type of bikes you want. - If you want an MTB or mountain bike - I would repost your enquiry on the MTB section ...other than that keep posting here

The video in my opening post, would that be classed as a hybrid?
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Just a normal road bike. I don't know whether it would be cheaper getting a mountain bike and changing the tyres to road ones... like I had done with the current Klein bike I had?

I get the impression that your after a flat barred hybrid type bike rather than a road bike which has drop handlebars, is that correct?
  • Flasher wrote:
    Just a normal road bike. I don't know whether it would be cheaper getting a mountain bike and changing the tyres to road ones... like I had done with the current Klein bike I had?

I get the impression that your after a flat barred hybrid type bike rather than a road bike which has drop handlebars, is that correct?

Yes. I don't need the fancy pro road bikes lol

I just want something exactly similar to what I have at present, just in a bigger frame size.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Your klein looks like an MTB with slick tyres. A Mountain bike would be the best replacement. Specialized Hardrock sport was always a good bike for about £300 - but you might want to pop to the MTB forums to get other views.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Or the commuting forum...

Do a google search on bike shops in your area and try and visit them, tell them what you want and see what they have to offer. Hpefully they will have something for you to try as well. Try and have a go on a road bike too, just for sh1ts and giggles!
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Or the commuting forum...

Do a google search on bike shops in your area and try and visit them, tell them what you want and see what they have to offer. Hpefully they will have something for you to try as well. Try and have a go on a road bike too, just for sh1ts and giggles!

The commuting forum will tell him he need s a drop handle bar road bike, the communting forum tells almost everyone they need a drop handle bar road bike. They have a point.

If you're riding only on tarmac, get a drop handle bar road bike. It's what they are designed for and they are brilliant for it.