Dunwich Dynamo

Rich158
Rich158 Posts: 2,348
edited July 2009 in Commuting chat
Who still in for this night of crazyness :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'll be there plus two - one crazy Polish ex cycle courier and one drunken Irishman :shock: It promises to be an interesting night if we can stay of of the pubs :wink:

And there's still the offer of a shower and coffee (maybe even brekky) in Dunwich for the choosen few :lol:
pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2

Comments

• _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Yeah, I'm definitely in. Not got much in the way of a plan, I kinda like Clever Pun's idea of heading for Ipswich for the train.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I've gone from a 'yes' to a 'maybe depending on the plans of my cousin who is visiting from Australia'.

I might be able to join the fun from Greemwich to my place in Essex... I don't think it's far.
  • Rich158
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Yeah, I'm definitely in. Not got much in the way of a plan, I kinda like Clever Pun's idea of heading for Ipswich for the train.

You can get a direct train from Saxmundham which is a bit closer.

Who said anything about having a plan :shock: :wink:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    Rich158 wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:

You can get a direct train from Saxmundham which is a bit closer.

I'll be there, weather and energy permitting, probably on a blue Donohue road bike with black hubs and rims.

BTW, even at Darsham, the next station up the line, there'll be problems getting on the train, even though the railway guards are usually quite helpful and let more cycles on than they should.
    I'll be there more my 5th go at this.

I've got accomodation booked near Dunwich so I won't be trying to squeeze onto a train the same time as everyone else. I'll be heading off in the afternoon for well deserved shower, followed by a pint in the village pub.

Then I'll be cycling home on Monday - at my leisure. 8)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I'm in weather permitting, I'm not doing it in the rain... just aint happening

My complete lack of training is starting to worry me
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    I should be in weather permitting. At the moment it is looking OK so should be heading to Dunwich very slowly going on one of my mates cycling ability! Will be on my green singlecross riding fixed for a laugh :?
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Rich158
    Porgy wrote:
    I'll be there more my 5th go at this.

I've got accomodation booked near Dunwich so I won't be trying to squeeze onto a train the same time as everyone else. I'll be heading off in the afternoon for well deserved shower, followed by a pint in the village pub.

Then I'll be cycling home on Monday - at my leisure. 8)

+1, the pub is very good, a nice selection of Adnams finest, and good food. I wish I was staying over night now. The cafe is also pretty good, as is the garden centre just up the road which does some fantastic lunch food :lol::lol:

Revised FCN - 2
  • Feltup
    What time does the pub open? Can I fit in a cheeky wee pint before the bus leaves?

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • Rich158
    I'm not sure, but if they've got any sense it'll be in time to make best use of the passing trade :lol::lol:

Revised FCN - 2
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    For the less fit/ mad/ keen, how about the Dulwich Dynamo

Cycling all the way from Hackney to Dulwich leaving Hackney at 9pm and aiming to reach dulwich for breakfast the next day.....
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Feltup
    That's what I thought it was last year. Imagine my surprise when everything went green and leafy and even more surprising when my front wheel got really wet in some very cold water.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • Rich158
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

And you wondered why it had taken you 10 hours to get across London :shock: :wink:

Revised FCN - 2
  • Feltup
    Rich158 wrote:
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

And you wondered why it had taken you 10 hours to get across London :shock: :wink:

That's about normal at my speed!

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Met office forecast - not looking good. :?
    Outlook for Thursday to Saturday:
    Dry and warm on Thursday, perhaps a few heavy showers later. Very warm and quite humid on Friday and Saturday with thundery showers, perhaps a longer spell of thundery rain.

Updated: 0338 on Tue 23 Jun 2009
    UK Outlook for Sunday 5 Jul 2009 to Tuesday 14 Jul 2009:
    More of a southwesterly breeze for the first few days. This bringing a mixture of showers or spells of rain. Some of the showers heavy with thunder. Temperature though, will be a lot cooler than currently, coming back to near or just a little above normal in places. The wind, becoming more of a north or northwest through the middle of the first week is likely to bring some heavier spells of rain, particularly across the northwest of the UK. The southeast, on the other hand, is most likely to experience the lengthiest sunny spells and driest conditions. The temperatures near normal though feeling cooler in the wind. The rest of the period looks like remaining unsettled with a brisk westerly breeze at times. Temperatures around average.

Updated: 1202 on Tue 30 Jun 2009

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ee/ee_forecast_weather.html
  • Feltup
    Weather is not looking too bad, showers on Friday but drying up through the night. I would guess most of the showers will be afternoon thunderstorms. I reckon we will probably leave London Fields around 8.30-9.00 ish again. Join the carnage as hundreds of cyclists annoy London's drivers.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • _Brun_
    I'm really, really looking forward to this now. Flat and fast with gears should be a nice contrast to last weekend's Brighton fixed run.

Still not sure how I might get back, was wondering about the train from Norwich. Looks like about 30 miles ride from Dunwich, and seems likely to have less cyclists heading in that direction. Only problem is that if the train doesn't work out for some reason, it's a hell of a long way back to London.
  • Rich158
    _Brun_ wrote:
    I'm really, really looking forward to this now. Flat and fast with gears should be a nice contrast to last weekend's Brighton fixed run.

Still not sure how I might get back, was wondering about the train from Norwich. Looks like about 30 miles ride from Dunwich, and seems likely to have less cyclists heading in that direction. Only problem is that if the train doesn't work out for some reason, it's a hell of a long way back to London.

I may have a spare place in my car, I'll let you know towards the end of the week

Revised FCN - 2
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I'm a 'no' for this now... big family dinner been organised for the visiting cousin on the Saturday night.

Stupid life getting in the way of my cycling... :x
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Not this year. My stamina is still pants. It's going down as a goal for next year.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Feltup
    I'm a 'no' for this now... big family dinner been organised for the visiting cousin on the Saturday night.

My master strategy for avoiding people off this forum is working. Now how do I avoid that pesky Rich158 maybe an early start with a pocket full of tacks :twisted: :twisted:

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • Rich158
    Feltup wrote:

My master strategy for avoiding people off this forum is working. Now how do I avoid that pesky Rich158 maybe an early start with a pocket full of tacks :twisted: :twisted:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You can't,

And where were you in March, not trying to avoid more forum members on the Etappe Caledonia I trust :wink:

Revised FCN - 2
  • Feltup
    Etape Caledonia? Tacks? Moi?

You saw nothin', you can't prove a thing, it's a fit up I tell you!

So my plan this year is to head off without having a pint and then try and persuade my fellow punters to stop for a pint somewhere in Essex. I know the place is full of hooligans in suped up "drive it like you stole it" SR Novas but last time I was busting by the time we got to Epping Forest pit stop after downing a Guinness at the pub in on the park. :oops:

I got propsitioned last time somewhere in Essex by a lady who told me to stop the madness and come in and get lashed. In hindsight it could have been a plan!

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • Clever Pun
    I can't do this now :cry:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Feltup
    Another one avoided, I'm on fire. How did I manage to mess up your ride then?

actually sorry you and LiT can't make it, secretely I would have liked to meet you all but don't tell Rich158

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • Clever Pun
    The missus' gran is pretty ill and it's her birthday... I should go a be a good boyfriend, supportive and all that
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Rich158
    Too late the cat's out the bag now :wink:

Unfortunately I'm also now a maybe, the creaky old legs are giving up on me. I'll have to wait for my physio's diagnosis on Thursday :cry:

Revised FCN - 2
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    You'll still have to avoid me. :P
  • _Brun_
    This is some sort of BR curse. I'm off to the other forum, which has a long and healthy list of participants, many of whom are sporting gears for the event.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Gad zukes I was going to do it too but I rode my road bike in the rain on monday and didn't wipe it down and lube it afterwards, no all I have is a pile of orange dust in my garage :roll:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017