Red Bull

Elushion
Elushion Posts: 115
Does RedBull before a race actually do any help? Was at a crit the other night where there was a stall, handing out redbull. The lady who was giving them out stated "It will help your performance". However, I fully beleive this was a load of marketing tosh. Or is it?
"It was eleven more than necessary."

-Jacques Anquetil (after winning a race by twelve
seconds."

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Only one way to find out!!
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Elushion wrote:
    Does RedBull before a race actually do any help? Was at a crit the other night where there was a stall, handing out redbull. The lady who was giving them out stated "It will help your performance". However, I fully beleive this was a load of marketing tosh. Or is it?

Depends how much you are affected by caffine I'd guess, if you're going for the caffine version.
  • Edwin
    Edwin Posts: 785
    Caffeine is a proven egogenic aid. Plenty of evidence out there on this - just use t'internet.
    One can provides 80mg, which isn't actually a huge amount (about the same as one and a half cups of tea).
    There's also a few other 'active' ingredients which I don't think are as well supported by the research. One is taurine, which is often referred to as a non-essential amino acid, although according to wikipedia it isn't, as it lacks a carboxyl group. I'm crap at chemistry so I won't split hairs on that, the other ingredient last time I looked was glucuronolactone, which is is a naturally occurring chemical produced by metabolism of glucose in the liver.
    It also contains B vitamins and about 27 grams of sugar.

Basically, any noticable effect will come from the sugar and caffeine, which you are better off getting from espresso and cake IMO - unless you want a proper caffeine hit in which case just buy some pure caffeine powder, which is available from supplement websites, and works out a hell of a lot cheaper than overpriced slightly caffeinated fizzy sugar water.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    I thought it gave you wings? (Which is probably cheating :wink: )
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Mmmmm...

Espresso and cake.
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    don't know for cycling, never tried it, but for running i can't say it works, but drinking a bottle of SIS Go before a race does seem to make a difference to me, may work fr cycling as well.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    I find that it helps me more mentally than physically. I am more alert after drinking one, but don't notice any physical improvement.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Elushion wrote:
    The lady who was giving them out stated "It will help your performance".

was she a qualified sports scientist - or was she wearing high heels and a bikini..?

(yes, I know she could have been both..)
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Mmmmm...

Espresso and cake.

http://www.espressocake.com/