Advice please!

clarkie28
clarkie28 Posts: 134
edited July 2009 in Road buying advice
Hello all!

I would like your advice on the best 2 or 3 flat bar road bikes for around £500.

I quite like the look of a Giant FCR, a Boardman or a Spesh Sirrus. Are any of these actually any good or could you recommend any others?

I will be using said bike for general fitness and to get me out of the house!
I like the idea of a regular road bike but i want the more upright position.

Thanks in advance for your help

Clarkie28 :D

Comments

• garywake
    garywake Posts: 5
    Giant are very good bikes and reasonably priced. I have had mine for 3 years and not many problems, just started upgrading bits now. Mine is the road version of the FCR
  • pompeypoppy
    pompeypoppy Posts: 182
    You can still have the regular position on a drop bar, so don't let that put you off.

+1 for Giant bikes
  • Icm76
    Icm76 Posts: 21
    Add the Trek FX to your short list. 7.3 & 7.5 are around your price. All brands are good safe choice, so 'best' will be the one that you feel most comfortable riding.

Giant is possibly the lowest (it's a Defy with a flat bar) then Sirrus, but I think those have adjustable stems, so you can make it more upright or lower. Trek is most upright, and if you want to bust the budget the 7.6 FX has a damper in the seat stay to soften the ride.

Edit: I don't know much about the Boardman hybrid, is this more of an MTB/light off road hybrid than the other bikes mentioned?