Alex EN24 rims weight? Worth upgrading to Mavic XC717?

GSDog
GSDog Posts: 129
edited July 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi all.

Does anyone know if the Alex EN24 rims are any good and how much they weigh?

I've come into a bit of money and thinking about upgrading the Alex EN24 rims & Shimano M525 hubs on my Focus Black Forest to some Mavic XC717 rims & XT hubs from Merlincycles;
http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain- ... pokes.html

Do you think it's worth the upgrade?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is a slight upgrade - but an upgrade all the less for XC riding.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    Assuming the spokes are similar, I expect the main saving will be weight. Looking at weight weenies and the rim manufacturer's sites, it looks like the XT/717 should weigh about 350g less than the 525/EN24, most of it in the hubs, so a decent saving but not really in rotating weight (rims, spokes, tyres and tubes have most effect)

I'd see what Merlin would do those wheels for you with DB spokes. Potentailly save you another 150g off the wheelset without going too mad. half kilo weight saving for 150 quid. Now yer talking!
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • GSDog
    GSDog Posts: 129
    Thanks, I will ask Merlin if they'll put some DB spokes on for a decent price. I never knew that spokes made such a difference especially in weight.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    GSDog wrote:
    Thanks, I will ask Merlin if they'll put some DB spokes on for a decent price. I never knew that spokes made such a difference especially in weight.

About 30 grams a wheel.