gilet

maddog 2
maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
edited June 2009 in Road buying advice
currently its too hot for my normal jackets (Gore Phantoms and Oxygens) but can still get a tad nippy when just running a short sleeve jersey, when it gets late.

so, thinking of a gilet. tried a Campag one on recently which was nice. And Light.

Any recommendations? I'd prefer something light so it can be packed away easily, and soft material would be nice.

Up to £40ish so no Rapha thanks...
Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer

Comments

• markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I got one of these recently and so far its been pretty good. It folds up nice and small, easily fitting in a jersey pocket or saddle bag. It cuts out the wind well from the front and the mesh back lets you sweat out ok. It does rustle a bit but I don't mind that at this price.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=19804
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    The new Mavic ones are rather nice.

A bit on the small side when ti comes to sizes and are around £44
  • soveda
    soveda Posts: 306
    Endura do a reasonably priced gilet, again it's a bit rustly but fits in a jersey pocket (just) and the mesh back means it isn't too sweat inducing.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Not many left at these prices.....there is a reason why!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=29852
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    +1 on the Montane. squishes down smaller than a tennis ball and is v useful in a shower!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've been rocking a ss jersey and arm warmers recently, been too warm for a gilet for a bit.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • verloren
    verloren Posts: 337
    Another vote for the Montane. I wouldn't use it in the shower though ;)

'09 Enigma Eclipse with SRAM.
    '10 Tifosi CK7 Audax Classic with assorted bits for the wet weather
    '08 Boardman Hybrid Comp for the very wet weather.
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    And another Montane vote - I bought one recently from Chain Reaction at their bargain price of £14.00. Looks like that size (L) has sold out.

Please note - they are bigger than their nominal sizes - I bought a L and it is a good fit for me but I normally wear XL.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Featherlites are awesome, I picked one up for £20 in small when they first came on offer.

Love montane kit, also have the trousers for commuting, and a jacket and a smock.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    cheers all. I've got the Montane Featherlite in a full jacket actually, but I fancied something a bit less 'waterproofy' in the gilet, a bit more 'jersey', if that makes sense. Good price though.

anyone got a Gore gilet?
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    maddog 2 wrote:
    cheers all. I've got the Montane Featherlite in a full jacket actually, but I fancied something a bit less 'waterproofy' in the gilet, a bit more 'jersey', if that makes sense. Good price though.

anyone got a Gore gilet?

maddog,
    I also have the Adidas Gilet which I bought off Ebay for about £14. It is ideal for cooler mornings just to keep the chill out until you warm up.

I would guess the reason that the gilets mentioned are "waterproofy" is that they are made of extremely thin nylon which is reasonably windproof - but can be packed very small.
    If they were more "jersey" like, the material would have to be that much thicker to make it windproof - and therefore it wouldn't pack up so small?

Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    I've got an Addidas one which packs down really small, but does rustle which is annoying as I wear a gilet almost all year round. I also have a nicer old TAL (club colours) which is better (zip excepted) and weren't TAL, Enduras brand for club kit? So maybe look at Endura.

The Gore ones I've seen are quite thick and don't look like they will be that small packed down. Also heat wise they are probably more suited to spring/autum/winter than summer nights.
  • pabloweaver
    pabloweaver Posts: 444
    any views on the Nike Windfront before I shell out , I tend to fall between sizes as I have a 38 chest - Small is 36-38 medium is 38-40 .

are these cut to take into consideration the cycling jersey as well ?

I dont want it flapping around like a sail or cutting the blood supply off to my arms and head ! :)
    http://www.northcheshireclarion.co.uk/

Great club in and around the Warrington area.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I was just about to mention Nike! They look like they'll do the business.

The problem is I always like to try stuff on. When I was buying my gilet I actually went into the shop during a ride when I had all my jersey pockets full and tried it.
  • pabloweaver
    pabloweaver Posts: 444
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I was just about to mention Nike! They look like they'll do the business.

The problem is I always like to try stuff on. When I was buying my gilet I actually went into the shop during a ride when I had all my jersey pockets full and tried it.

there be my problem.. buying on line means taking a good guess ...I hate having to send stuff back and wait for returns ... ( takes the fun out of it :lol: ) so I dont know if I should go small or med...mmmm
    http://www.northcheshireclarion.co.uk/

Great club in and around the Warrington area.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you are normally a small I'd go for that, gilets are usually designed with a bit of rom at the back in mind...
  • ukracer
    ukracer Posts: 421
    Adidas adistar can be picked up cheap on ebay and im very happy with mine