Buckled Powrtap Wheel

patheticFTP
patheticFTP Posts: 6
My wheel has gone out of true. It's a Mavic Open Pro 32 spoke wheel on hire from Cyclepowermeters.com. Anyone know if I have to retun it to them to be trued or can I just take it to the LBS and get them to do it.

Can't phone them from work which is why I'm asking here and anyway with the number of people hiring these I'm sure I'm not the first to buckle a wheel so somebody is bound to know :lol:

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I trued mine myself - as long as you (or LBS) don't damage it, I can't see why CyclePowerMeters would be concerned.

Truing a wheel is pretty straightforward unless the rim is really out of shape.
  • Thanks Bronzie. Never tried this before and not sure it would be too wise for me to experiment on this wheel. I guess you are right that they probably wouldn't mind as it will save them a bit of time not having to do the job themselves and me a good bit of money in not having to courier it :lol: Plus I'll get it back a lot quicker. I'm already fretting about how life can possibly go on without it :shock:
  • pinkbikini
    pinkbikini Posts: 876
    Do it yourself (or LBS) - no need to send back to CPMeters.
    I bust a rear wheel (by hitting a pothole during a race) which was on hire from them earlier this year - rim cracked. We had a discussion about wear and tear - in the end they agreed to pay for the new rim, I agreed to pay the build cost. Seemed like a fair compromise. Which reminds me - they still owe me for the new rim!
    If in doubt give Bob Tobin at CPM a call - very helpful.
    EDIT: sorry, just seen that you said you can't call from work...!
  • Thanks pinkbikini. I think I'll just take it to the LBS tomorrow. No spoke key in any case. Glad to hear they are relaxed about these things :lol:
  • If you can post on a fourm, can't you email Bob?
  • If you can post on a fourm, can't you email Bob?

Their sites banned on our networks so had no way of getting it.

I'll have to contact them now as its actually a broken spoke and not just a buckle though from the advice above it looks like a local repair may still be possible (crosses fingers).
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Your LBS will be probably be able to replace a broken spoke while you wait for less than a tenner.
  • Bronzie wrote:
    Your LBS will be probably be able to replace a broken spoke while you wait for less than a tenner.

Emailed Bob earlier today and he said to just take it to the LBS and send him a copy of the receipt and he'd knock the costs of my next rental so can't say fairer than that.

I had another front wheel which I needed trued as well so it will take until Friday to get both done. The front will be £10 & rear £14 so not too bad. Let's hope they don't lose the wheel or drop something on it :shock: