Any genesis core owners?

psilocybe
psilocybe Posts: 119
edited July 2009 in MTB buying advice
This is for a mate, I think he's gonna buy the wrong size (untested cos its on the net), he 5 ft 10" with an inside leg of 31-32 inch, he thinks he needs a 20inch Core 20, I think he needs a 17.5.

What u lot think? without him real world testing I know its a hard decision?
Orange 5 AM
Giant XTC Alliance 1
Charge Duster SS
Unbuilt Maxlight XC3Pro

Comments

• PinkSpider
    PinkSpider Posts: 37
    I did some calculation earlier based on other posts for a 32 inch leg and it came out I should get a 19". As someone who is looking to order a Genesis Core at the weekend I would be very interested too.
  • I am 5 foot 7 and a bit and I have got a core 20 waiting for me at my LBS I went for the 17.5 inch frame I would say i have short legs and a long body for my height and find it just right size for me. The 16 inch was too cramped.
    AUT PAX AUT BELLUM
    My Kayaking Blog http://naefearjustbeer.wordpress.com/
  • keirtristan
    keirtristan Posts: 296
    I have a 31" inside leg and ride a 17.5" Core 20.

It's not just about your inside leg though, I have proportionately short arms so a 19" would have been a bit of a stretch.

There really is no substitute for sitting on one and trying it out. Any of the Cores should do to be honest.
  • I have a new one which I'm thinking of replacing. Not sure it's the bike for me anymore!!
  • stueyscott
    stueyscott Posts: 112
    I'm 5' 10 and a half and I was going to get the 17.5" Core 40 until they ran out of stock!

Although i didn't get to rid one I sat on one and the 17.5 which definatly felt right.
  • I'm just over 5'11" and have an inside leg of about 29-30, and the 18-19" frames I've tested are too big for the stand over height, even though its not too much of a problem on the reach, so personally (without seeing him on the bike) i'd reckon the 20" frame is too big for him?
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    My mate who's 5ft 9/10" with a 30" inside leg rides a Medium (17.5") core 20.

I tried it - being 5'11" with a 32.5" inside leg and it felt way too short for me, personally if i were to buy one it would be the next size up,
  • stickygreen
    stickygreen Posts: 339
    I got mine two weeks ago i'm 6ft 2 i got the 19 inch frame it's a perfect size for me, i think 17.5 inch would be right for your mate but for god's sake don't let him get a 20inch.awsome bike though!
    GENESIS CORE 20
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    Im 5ft11! and got the 19", my inside leg is 32" and my arms are shorter than norm for my height. (i know this from when i got custom fitted for golf clubs)
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • PinkSpider
    PinkSpider Posts: 37
    Deffler, how is it standing up on it then, how far are your man bits from the metal? This is my main concern, used to having a good bit of space there.
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    yeah theres more than enough daylight. nice man at evans even gave me a 2nd opinion
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • dickst3
    dickst3 Posts: 56
    Just for size I tried an 18" Carrera today (I'm 5' 10" / 32" inside leg) and found it big - just enough room for my family jewels, but I felt too far back.

I tried the 16" frame and it felt much better - I was more over the front. However the Halfords guy said I needed the 18" as the 16" was mainly for teenagers! He was 6' and rides a 20" frame.

I'm even more confused now. I guess i need to ride them. Maybe a 17.5 would suit.....

Rich
  • dickst3 wrote:
    Just for size I tried an 18" Carrera today (I'm 5' 10" / 32" inside leg) and found it big - just enough room for my family jewels, but I felt too far back.

I tried the 16" frame and it felt much better - I was more over the front. However the Halfords guy said I needed the 18" as the 16" was mainly for teenagers! He was 6' and rides a 20" frame.

I'm even more confused now. I guess i need to ride them. Maybe a 17.5 would suit.....

Rich

what was the stem length? if it was really long like 110-130mm then dropping down to a 40mm might've made all the difference and would sharpen the handling. If not then maybe do go for the bigger size :)
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • dickst3
    sorry to be ignorant but stem length? is that for the bars?

i did notice that the bars were quite high compared to the seat which cant be right? and when standing on the 18" i was expecting more clearance for my nuts!

Rich
  • Stem is what connects the handlebars to the top of the forks. Sizes can vary from short ones eg 10mm which will help with downhill riding, quick, responsive handling to longer stems (90-130mm) which are better for climbing in the saddle. It can make as much as difference to bike fit as frame size at times.
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • dickst3
    Cheers. the 18" must have had a long stem then.
  • smegurmum
    smegurmum Posts: 181
    he will want the 17.5" he has similar measurements to myself, ive ridden the 19" and i was far too stretched out couldnt get over the rear wheel properly
    Genesis Altitude
    BMC Team Machine
  • ST22
    ST22 Posts: 13
    I'm 5'10 and have a 17'5" Core 40. I knew as soon as I tried it it was the perfect size. I had been looking at 19"'s but as I have short arms they were too long for me. The 20" would be too big for your mate.

S