Completely stumped!

leepee123
leepee123 Posts: 3
edited June 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys, having spent the past week reading endless reviews and forums, testing bikes and asking mates I still cannot find the right bike....aaargh!

Basically, my route to work and back takes me on road for 5 miles over some serious hills (I live in Yorkshire) so I need a nice smooth and well powered bike for the uphills. However, the last mile is over some pretty rocky terrain, not mega-downhill stuff but more like a dry riverbed and some muddy uphills. I dont think the hybrids I have seen will handle this, so I guess I need a proper mountain bike... but one that is good on the road.

So..... what bike should i get?!?! My budget is about £500 and I am stumped so far. Consider this plea a last resort before walking into Halfords and picking the shiniest one!!

Cheers

Comments

• leepee123
    leepee123 Posts: 3
    Thanks Andy, I had looked through that page before. The specalized Hardrock pro was looking like my favourite, but couldnt get near one to test. Also a bit worried it might not be so good on the 2 mile on-road uphill slog.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    No mountain bike will be great on road though, they will all be a compromise, even with slicks or semi slick tyres.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg