Sneaks in from MTB section...

Surf-Matt
Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
edited June 2009 in Road beginners
Hi All,

Been MTBing for ages and very much an XC racer type rider (although only done an off road tri which had an MTB section - so far). The tri (did the Sprint distance and somehow came 1st) really inspired me and Mrs Matt (who also did a smaller tri that weekend and was 2nd out of the women - she had our baby 8 months before!) and so we looked for more.

Not many have MTB sections - most are road so we've taken the plunge and got a new Spesh Allez Elite (2010 - same spec as 2009 Sport I think) - being built today. I tried the basic version and really enjoyed it - bit tricky avoiding kerbs/potholes/bumpy tracks but that's part of the challenge!

The plan is that the next tri (Mylor, Cornwall) which has a 12m road section will be ridden by Mrs Matt on the road bike and me on my MTB with slicks. If it goes well, we'll get another road bike. Very usefully, we are exactly the same size bikewise!

Anything I should consider? Getting basic SPDs stuck on (M520s) that will suit our MTB shoes.

We will share it for now - I ride a 12.5 mile route 3-4 times a week (before work) and Mrs Matt does it 2-3 times. We both also run competitively. Basically, we are fitness geeks... :oops: :lol::lol:

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    What are you asking ?
  • Surf-Matt
    Is there any kit we need? Roadies don't seem to use Camelbacks.
    Is there anything I might have forgotten?
    Has anyone else done similar (MTB to roadie riding)?

I thought it was fairly obvious...
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    There seem to be a few of us going a bit roadie! I'm planning a road bike in a few weeks (after hols )!
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • soveda
    soveda Posts: 306
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Is there any kit we need? Roadies don't seem to use Camelbacks.
    Is there anything I might have forgotten?
    Has anyone else done similar (MTB to roadie riding)?

I thought it was fairly obvious...

Proper lycra is more comfortable than baggies, camelbacks are not terribly streamlined (usually) so I suspect that is why people don't ride on road with them but go for it if you want to.
    The Chamois on road lycra seems better suited to seated milage than that on MTB lycra (warniing: anecdote comparing endura FS260 pro bibs with Endura MT500 bibs).
    Oh and it's as addctive as MTBing!
  • Surf-Matt
    Cheers soveda - just the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Got some Altura Pro Gel shorts that I wear under MTB baggies (Singletracks) - not sure if the World should be subjected to me in them without a layer on top...!

So what do you carry your kit in?

Oh and if I take my peak off my lid (Spesh 2D) it magically turns from MTB to Roadie lid! Always been slightly bemused as to why some roadie stuff is so different to MTB stuff but keen to be enlightened.
  • Surf-Matt
    I got a bit narked with riding in insanely muddy conditions over the Winter so think I'll be road riding this time around.

As well as falling off, I kept wearing stuff out REALLY quickly which cost a fortune. Don't mind a bit of mud but bog riding is just a pain.
  • soveda
    soveda Posts: 306
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Cheers soveda - just the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Got some Altura Pro Gel shorts that I wear under MTB baggies (Singletracks) - not sure if the World should be subjected to me in them without a layer on top...!

Oh and if I take my peak off my lid (Spesh 2D) it magically turns from MTB to Roadie lid! Always been slightly bemused as to why some roadie stuff is so different to MTB stuff but keen to be enlightened.

Kit goes in a saddlebag (tubes, multitool, CO2 inflator/pump[on the frame] keys) and jersey pockets (phone, gilet, banananananas etc) I find I need less stuff for the same distance as the wear and tear on inner tubes is less than when I was riding in the Chilterns/Hertfordshire.
    The peak thing is because you are in a more head down position and some peaks get in the way of forward vision. Most of the clothing differences are to do with the same sorts of things.
    I've discovered chamois cream since riding regularily on the road and I find it helps, not sure why I didn't feel the need off road for the same differences.
    I'm still discovering my way having been converted to drop bars in the last 12 months but noticing that my slicked up MTB was approximating a roadie position more and more with every change I made (predominantly dropping the bars and riding on the ends more.

Oh and if you thought MTB pricing was daft, I can see where the tech is in a £5000 fully, a £5000 road bike isn't so obvious to me...
  • Surf-Matt wrote:

Just get a little saddle bag. Big enough to fit an inner tube (or two), tyre levers, maybe some basic tools and possibly a P******e repair kit. (feel like I've forgotten something...)

Worth getting bottle cages, generally more popular than Camelbacks as they make your back really sweaty and it's easier to have the wieght on the bike rather than on you (even if it's only a couple of kilos).
  • lowe
    lowe Posts: 61
    You might consider getting separate saddles, so that Mrs Matt could have a specific woman’s one. I find saddles designed for men very uncomfortable and if my husband has ever had to sit on mine he has described it at a torture instrument.
  • Surf-Matt
    This is all brilliant info - thanks all!

Will get a bottle cage - I tend to use a bottle a lot anyway as they are a lot easier to wash than Camelbak bladders. I use the CB for storing essentials and only use the bladder for big rides.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    I always use a Camelback on the MTB but never on a road bike. You notice the weight much more on a road bike and as mentioned get a sweaty back. One or two bottles cover the drinking part and a small saddle pack for 2 tubes & multitool. A Blackburn Airstick clipped on the bottle cage mounts completes it. Lightweight water proof and a bit of food in jersey pockets and you are ready to go. Scrap the baggies, they are not very comfortable on a road bike. I hardly ever use mine on the MTB now especialy in Trailquests.
  • Surf-Matt
    Just picked it up - what a beauty!
  • punctureboy
    punctureboy Posts: 217
    i'm going through a very similar thing as u at the mo surf matt. I missed the trailx race that u won and ended up doing a proper tri out of frustration on my mtb with slicks. Loved it and now i'm the proud owner of a full carbon machine! Are u doing the next trailx? I'm bloody working so gonna miss it, but i'm doing the third one if it kills me. I've gone for 2 cages. The extra weight on your road bike doesn't effect handling like on the mtb
  • Surf-Matt
    Puncture - hoping to do the Poole one. The other one is a bit far (got a little one to look after).

Just tested it - I LOVE it - SO fast!

Also bought a new surfboard at the weekend (as you can see from the avatar, I surf a faier bit) and just tested it - perfect surf, amazing board. What a great day!
  • Surf-Matt
    Just ordered a Topeak medium aero wedge bag. What do you guys and gals do for a pump? Have an Airstik (carbon) and a Lezyne Alloy drive (medium) but not sure if either will fit in the bag?
    Getting tyres off - I'm guessing this isn't easy. Any tips?! Just need to carry a phone, levers, a pump, spare tube(s) and possibly a little multi tool (Lezyne jobby with 19 functions).
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Just ordered a Topeak medium aero wedge bag. What do you guys and gals do for a pump? Have an Airstik (carbon) and a Lezyne Alloy drive (medium) but not sure if either will fit in the bag?
    Getting tyres off - I'm guessing this isn't easy. Any tips?! Just need to carry a phone, levers, a pump, spare tube(s) and possibly a little multi tool (Lezyne jobby with 19 functions).

I have the same one and have it clipped under my bottle cage.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Back pockets.
    Shove 2 500ml water bottles on water bottle holders, an energy bar, a banana and a gel, and you have enough for 2-3 hours of training.

Should be easy to fit all that in jersey pockets.

Enjoy the road bike- they go a lot faster!
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson