V Brakes; Are Better Quality Ones Worth Buying

Levi_501
Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
edited July 2009 in MTB buying advice
I have worn the V brake callipers out on my Trek commuter MTB. The bush has worn through and you can shake them side to side.

They are the original OEM Promax jobbies (MMmm...nice...) and have done well, however.

As I need to buy some, is it worth buying a better set of V brakes like Shamino XT M770 for say £30 or just go for some cheapies.

I guess my question is, do V brakes get better the more you spend, or are they just a cr@p at all levels ?

Just for reference, the frame does not accept disk brakes.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Yes they do get better the more you spend (generally)

In certain conditions V's are just as good as disc brakes.

You can also get adaptors to convert non disc frames to run discs. A2Z do one.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I have XTR V brakes on my Rock Lobster Ti (non disc frame), they are so good I have never wanted for discs. Pad choice makes a difference.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    V brakes are great, the only downside that applied to most people was cable stretch over time and wet/muddy performance.

I used to have a set of M660s (? DX levers) a long time ago, and they were as effective as a land-anchor!
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Cheers, I shall invest in some decent ones.

Hmmm... 8)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Pads make the biggest difference - not sure the calipers do, though parallel push ones have less cosine factor (angle of attack).
  • Anonymous
    I found the levers made a bigger difference personally, Sonic. The Shimano servo-action thingymmies really helped if set up properly.
    It basically "geared down" the brake pull once the pads made contact with the rim, so that you could apply more pressure at the pad with equal force on the lever
  • supersonic
    I do use Speed Dial at the minute, and before that a full M600 set. Which were so sharp, I could do trials on them, and lock both wheels at will (albeit with Kool Stop Eagle Claws)
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    ^^^ i'd agree with that, I haven't noticed much difference between arms, but levers make a huge difference as do pads and cables to a lesser degree.
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    Avid Single Digit 5 came on my Stumpy were pretty good, but I still swapped them for discs after a month.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    alfablue wrote:
    I have XTR V brakes on my Rock Lobster Ti (non disc frame), they are so good I have never wanted for discs. Pad choice makes a difference.
    +1

If we all had XTR V-brakes there'd be no need for discs. The 'severe condition' pads are incredible.
  • Anonymous
    M600s, that's the ones! AWESOME Brakes.
  • supersonic
    In fact I am switching back from the Arch Rivals to the M600s on thw Zaskar LE!