How much should a timetrial bike weigh? Ribble Aero content.

DanEvs
DanEvs Posts: 640
edited June 2009 in Road buying advice
I'm currently involved in dialogue with Ribble regarding the purchase of one of their Aero TT bikes. One of the things to come from our conversation is the weight of the bike which they say is roughly 20lbs. Does this seem a bit heavy or is that the norm for TT bikes?

Has anyone dealt with Ribble and does anyone own one of their TT bikes? I'd love to hear from an owner. :)

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    That's fine. Weight is not really an issue on a flat TT course.
  • DanEvs
    What if your local TT course incorporated two massive hills into it's 22 and undulating terrain in it's 10? I am in north Wales after all. :)
  • Anonymous
    Then I wouldn't bother with a TT bike.
  • DanEvs
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Then I wouldn't bother with a TT bike.

You're no help are you. :D

I need a TT bike as it's going to improve my times without question but I'm unsure as to the weight of a typical example.

Has anyone seen a review of the Ribble Aero anywhere?
  • Anonymous
    Heh heh!

20lbs is about average for a TT bike as the aero aspect is more important. On a course with steep long climbs then those aero benefits will diminish somewhat.

On an undulating course the weight shouldn't be an issue as you can power over the climbs carrying speed from the descent before.
  • DanEvs
    NapoleonD wrote:
    20lbs is about average for a TT bike as the aero aspect is more important. On a course with steep long climbs then those aero benefits will diminish somewhat.

I've probably over-egged the hills a little anyway, as long as weight's no big deal I'm probably going to get one. Going to try some on for size Friday I hope. :D

Cheers for the replies dude.
  • Anonymous
    No worries, reap the benefits!