Chain slipping? Now with cassette rambles

tardington
tardington Posts: 1,379
edited June 2009 in The workshop
Just got a 9 speed SRAM chain onto my bike! It is running very smoothly, except when I'm pedalling very hard - standing up for hills, or moving off from stationary. It's onto a proper shimano 9 speed cog-thing at the back which doesn't look at all worn, but isn't new.

Will the chain 'bed in' after a while? The guy in the bike shop said it would be fine and didn't try and sell me new stuff... ( :shock: I know!)

Thanks!

Comments

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    1) your cassette (the cog thing) is probably worn. It doesn't have to be very worn before this happens. How many miles had the old chain done?
    2) yes it will bed in eventually, however, this will be through the mechanism of wrecking your new chain.
  • tardington
    1) A good few months of commuting... I guess I'll go look on wiggle... :cry:

2) Buuuuuugggger
  • will3
    That would be quite quick, unless you regularly get it muddy/rusty/covered in shite/never oil it etc etc.

Another possible cause would be if the chain was way too long, but his would only happen in small/small gear combos.

For what it's worth old stretched chains (what I call knackered) generally work Ok, they just wear the cassette and the chainrings. When the wear gets really bad the gears will slip and eventually the chain will break.

Why did you change the old chain?
  • will3
    PS sure way to tell if it's the cassette:

does it slip on any cog or just the ones you use most often? If the latter a cassette change will probably cure it.
  • tardington
    Chain replaced due to links being snapped when rear mech tried sexing my spokes

3220030525_904c1438a1.jpg

I thought I was through spending on repairs. Bah!

Maybe chain is too long though - the guy did have a good look at it and said I didn't need a new cassette. (I'm learning!)
  • will3
    So you've had a new mech and gear hanger too right?

Is the indexing out?
  • tardington
    Oh thanks will3! Tried the gears like you said - I think you are right about the wear.

Oh, should have said, got my LBS to fit the new chain, mech etc and they sorted the gears out, they flip perfectly up and down. Just the slippage when I unleash ultimate power. :cry:

Suppose I'd better get a new one... Apparently I have a 'Shimano HG-50 9 speed with a 11-34 tooth range. '

Should I get one the same, or look into upgrading? Thanks!
  • will3
    tardington wrote:

Suppose I'd better get a new one... Apparently I have a 'Shimano HG-50 9 speed with a 11-34 tooth range. '

Should I get one the same, or look into upgrading? Thanks!

That's Tiagra/deore equivalent. TBH they're relatively cheap, I;ve no idea if you go for the more expensive whether they will last longer(doubt it) or are just lighter. You can also fit SRAM cassettes, I believe.
  • tardington
    Will have a look. Spose one the same will do I guess!

And thanks again!
  • tardington
    Just had a terrible thought - I'm not damaging my new chain right now am I or does it take a wee while to wear down? :shock:
  • tardington
    Right, guess I'd better get a new cassette. But! One the same is only 26 pounds from wiggle!
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shima ... 000000909/ or appears to be - does 'close ratio' mean the cogs change in size a wee bit? I seem to be able to buy it with an 11-34 range, like the old one has. :shock:

I may go for a slightly more fancy one though... I am a bit confused by the different kinds though :oops: Do I want want a road one or an mtb one?

Is this one substantially more fancy? It looks the same!
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shima ... 1019/#more

EDITS AGAIN nice man in bike shop tells me all cassettes wear the same - I only need an upgrade if racing. Oh well! I guess I'll save money though!
  • JonS123
    JonS123 Posts: 171
    you may be a bit late, but saw this on the for sale board : http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/forums/vie ... t=12632580

While I can't speak for the road range being compatable - with the MTB range, I think the only difference is in the materials used, construction method and possible weight savings on the higher end stuff. I went with HG70 on my bike mainly as the difference in price wasn't that much, and it has a shiny silver lock ring :)
  • tardington
    Hmm, it only seems to come with 8 speeds a feeble google tells me...

Have just spanked 45 squid on ebay on one of these anyway
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shima ... 360031019/

I reckon I'll have a shot of attaching it myself... :shock:

Thanks though!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    WHat condition are your chainrings in?
  • tardington
    supersonic wrote:
    WHat condition are your chainrings in?

Well they've not slipped so I'm going to hope they're okay... I am purposefully not going to look tonight...

I wish you hadn't asked though. :cry: :shock:

EDIT to add. I guess you are right though. Bah! I mostly ever only use the middle ring... which is 39 teeth... hmm *goes weeping to wiggle*
  • tardington
    Will this fit on? I have no idea. *attacks chainrings with a ruler*

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STRONGLIGHT-DURAL ... 1|294%3A50
  • will3
    Seriously, if your chain is only just slipping on your cassette, and if this is the first time you've changed your chain, you should get some more miles out of your chainring. If the teeth are all sharp and pointy like sharks fins though, probably best to change.
  • duron1
    duron1 Posts: 2,475
    The chain rings wear at a much slower rate as the chain does not contact each tooth as much as it does on the cassette. I get 10,000 miles out of some steel RPM (FSA) chain rings for commuting.
    Commuter: Saracen Vex '03 (Full XT drivetrain, Rockshox Tora 302 80mm, Conti Touring Plus..etc)

MTB Hardtail: Orbea Satellite - Team Colours '08 (Full XTR drivetrain, Reba Teams, XC717s - Hope Pro II, Fire XC Pro 2.1...etc).
  • tardington
    Woo thanks!

Although my LBS is saying they'll do a new one on for me for 17 quids... Hmm...