Top gear

Dazzza
Dazzza Posts: 2,364
edited July 2009 in The Crudcatcher
So come on who watched the two bloody awesome drag races the hamster had, i knew the f1 would give the veyron a run for it's money. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4jcmvDeQeE
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
Giant Anthem X

Comments

• cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Cracking episode that was.

So nice that there is something on the telly other than big brother and that other reality TV crap.
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    Both drag races were epic. Always loved the noise the Lambo v12 makes. Beautiful.

Stephen Fry is totally nauseating. Every time I see him on tv he is having orgasms about twitter - In fact, I'm fairly certain that was a carbon copy of the interview he did with Ross a while back.

Got to love, supergluing up Mays stereo :lol:
  • after TOP GEAR was over,I looked up that lambo mucielago and its a pig on petrol does 13.6 Liters to the 100 Kms on the motorway.
    I was also wondering how on earth they managed to do that race in abudabi with not a single car about. Recon the shiek probably wanted a go in the Lambo :wink:
    out of interest what sound system was in James car?
    I assume this is French petrol - be careful in reverse - the car will retreat rapidly at the least provocation.
  • -liam-
    If I'm being honest, I'd of thought, if you could afford a Lamborghini, that the last thing going through your mind as you nailed it away from the traffic lights, whilst racing a Merc in yer Billionaires playground, would be how many litres of optimax you are going to burn in the next 100km's. I may be wrong, but I really feel it isn't a big priority :lol:
  • rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    really wanted the F1 to win,
  • -liam-
    rhann wrote:

To be fair it had it right up to silly speeds but the Veryron has the Horses and legs at the top end.
  • Dazzza
    after TOP GEAR was over,I looked up that lambo mucielago and its a pig on petrol does 13.6 Liters to the 100 Kms on the motorway.
    I was also wondering how on earth they managed to do that race in abudabi with not a single car about. Recon the shiek probably wanted a go in the Lambo :wink:

Easy like hamster said the police closed the road for them to film on.

And likewise when you buy such a car the last thing you worry about is running costs. :lol:

I wonder how the f1 lm would have fared, 75kg lighter and 55hp more.

That 500hp atom car should be fun, certainly be up there with the caparo t1, they should have pitted that against the veyron but i doubt bugatti would allow it. ;)
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    sod youtube, watch it in decent quality on the i-player if you missed it.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    They have filmed TG a couple of times over here on the mountain road. They pretty much just rock up and ask the DoT to close the road.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    rhann wrote:
    Drag races......zzzzzz.

F1 would kill the big fat lardy bugatti on any proper circuit on the planet. I seem to recall that one of the Caterams is faster round the top gear test track than the bugatti, and it's powered by a lawnmower engine. :D
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    I love how the Mclaren F1 hasn't dated at all.
    Still looks fresh and cutting-edge, even after 17 years.
    Peter Stevens did a cracking job on the styling, and Gordon Murray is a genius.
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • whalley665
    whalley665 Posts: 150
    James's stereo was so funny, especially when he was trying to park his car quietly
    "You are so unfunny"
    Ha Ha, classic
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    The F1 mclaren race was totally fixed up to make it look close,

Even if you take a basic look at just 0-60 times the veron is already the best part of a second ahead, then after that the torque of a bigger engine would demolish the mac..

I love top gear but really gotta take it all with a pinch of salt. like the challenges you can not take arty shots like that in a true race.
  • rhann
    rhann Posts: 383

Even if you take a basic look at just 0-60 times the veron is already the best part of a second ahead, then after that the torque of a bigger engine would demolish the mac..

I love top gear but really gotta take it all with a pinch of salt. like the challenges you can not take arty shots like that in a true race.
    also completely controlled by computers, whereas the F1 was pure machine.
  • hondafanatic
    hondafanatic Posts: 213

Or you could look at it another way. Perhaps the Bug is difficult to launch (he wasn't using the LC in the Bug) and the factory times are difficult to achieve this side of a professional racer, where as you put a professional racer in the F1 and he can get off the line more consistently and achieve a close race.

I think if they then went back and swapped cars, it might have averaged things out.

I totally agree with you 'pinch of salt' comment. TG is nuts magazine with out the tits... well, sort of.
    <insert witty comment here>

Also, I have calculated my FCN as 12...although I have no idea what that actually means.
  • Anonymous
    Honest or not, Top Gear is certainly entertaining.

(I get the impression some people would never believe the outcome, even if they saw it themselves ) :lol:
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    F1 is rear wheel drive, veron 4wd power diff or not it will take off quicker.

Love top gear entertains no end but still. it does annoy me occasionally when its obviously made up to be closer than it could be
  • hondafanatic
    F1 is rear wheel drive, veron 4wd power diff or not it will take off quicker.

Love top gear entertains no end but still. it does annoy me occasionally when its obviously made up to be closer than it could be

Not necessarily (I know you think i'm taking the pi55 now, but I do quarter mileing as my other hobby).

On paper, you're correct, but the reality is 4wd can be difficult to launch. Unless you're willing to press hard on the loud pedal and then sidestep the clutch, most people get bogged down in the revs. I've gone up against some seriously powerful 4wd car that leave the start line relatively slowly to try and maintain some mechanical sympathy to then bury the throttle and shoot past me in a rather embarrassing way.

Give that it took place in abudabi, the heat would affect the turbo motor of the bug a lot more than the N/A of the F1, especially when the traction from the hot tarmac and tires would be ideal for launching for both cars.

Again, it's all a bit of fun... :D

Also, I have calculated my FCN as 12...although I have no idea what that actually means.
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    Missed it!! What day is it repeated?

Guess it'll be iplayer by now too
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • birchy
    birchy Posts: 309
    Surely over there some one must have one of these i'm sure it may have alot closer or even another story.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLaren_F1_LM :shock: 8) 8)
  • hondafanatic
    birchy wrote:
    Surely over there some one must have one of these i'm sure it may have alot closer or even another story.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLaren_F1_LM :shock: 8) 8)

In the straight mile test, the standard car would be faster than the LM. The LM would be faster around a circuit. The LM has a bit more frontal area and a lot more drag. As speed rises, they are increasing constraints.

• rwalworth
    rwalworth Posts: 176

Fusion twin bass pack, pretty gammy stuff to be honest runs at like 400w rms and 600w max power. If you want really nice stuff go to Alpine or Pioneer
  • birchy
    birchy Posts: 309
    just found this ok it wll most likely blow up after a couple of runs but they reckon it has beat a buggati before and i think there ae some even quicker ones to be found if you can be arsed looking for them
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPUuxKlotfE
  • Dazzza
    This would probably beat a veyron as well, not so much on top speed, it has done 217mph without nos though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20AFv_qQ ... re=related

Andy forrest 934hp scooby.

Saying that this vauxhall victor was on 5th gear a while back. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQyHIqdY ... re=related
    Giant Anthem X
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I also thought the Koeniggsegg (sp?!) CCX was quicker?

Anyway, still not as fast as our 86bhp Jimny... :lol::lol:
  • Anonymous
    You can get faster standing quarter times than most of those cars for a hell of a lot less cost by using a motorcycle :roll:
  • Dazzza
    Surf-Matt wrote:

Probably it's 880hp and simlar weight to the f1, but the caparo t1 has more hp per tonne something like 586hp for a 550kg car. :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmtTm1rY ... PL&index=1
    Giant Anthem X
  • hondafanatic
    You can get faster standing quarter times than most of those cars for a hell of a lot less cost by using a motorcycle :roll:

Yes, but the guys I watched had to remove their brain at the start lane and replace it with balls. Really big balls. :lol:

I mean, a Hyabusa (spelling?) is quick anyway, why the frig would you feel the need to stick a supercharger to it then shove a NOS system on top.

Like I say... really big balls.

• montevideoguy
    montevideoguy Posts: 2,271
    We have a winner?

http://www.shelbysupercars.com/car-specs.php

wouldn't fancy driving it though..wheelspin at 100mph sounds a tough mental
    Formally known as Coatbridgeguy
  • Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    Dazzza wrote:
    Surf-Matt wrote:

Probably it's 880hp and simlar weight to the f1, but the caparo t1 has more hp per tonne something like 586hp for a 550kg car. :shock:

But would the Caparo make it to the end of the 1/4 mile without bursting into flames and toasting you, or falling apart? :shock: lol
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???