£750 Bike that likes to get spanked???

neonblue
neonblue Posts: 21
edited June 2009 in MTB buying advice
I have looked through past threads but could not get an answer so here goes........

The budget is £750 and I'm looking for a HT that is mainly for geting thrashed on red and black routes at trail centres, lots of jumps, steps and roots as well as freeride and the occasional family bike ride. So basically a bad boy who can dabble in other things apart from chaos.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    For around that price I would look at the Kona Hoss:

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... Suspension

Tough parts, but with the seatpost up would be ok for longer rides and XC.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    Kona Hoss is a good choice on paper although I've never ridden one personally.

Other choices, if you're up for building a bike yourself;

On-one 456
    Dialled Prince Albert

the frames can be had for 150 and 250 GBP respectively and particularly if you build it up 1x9 I'm sure you could manage a nice spec for <750

Problem is you'll struggle to get a test ride on one, unless you have a mate who already owns one. I have ridden both (thanks to my mates) and they are both nice burly(ish) hardtails that could be made for thrashing trailcentres.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • neonblue
    I like the idea of building up my own bike but this will be only my second bike and I'm not sure I wouldn't c£ck something up, I also would need to by most of the stuff because most of my components need change. I second hand parts a good option??
    [/quote]
  • neonblue
    I like the idea of building up my own bike but this will be only my second bike and I'm not sure I wouldn't c£ck something up, I also would need to by most of the stuff because most of my components need change. Are second hand parts a good option?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It'd be pretty hard to build something good for all that at this price to be fair... Especially when there's so many great-value tough hardtails out there already that'll do the job perfectly. 456 + tough fork + tough wheels = most of your budget.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    what bike do you have at the moment??? i built my maxlight up for about a grand with reasonably flash stuuf so i bet you could build an 456 for about 750 if you were prepared to sacrifise abit of flashy kit
  • neonblue
    I have managed to get hold of a DB Prince albert frame for free. So i'm thinking Rockshox recon 351 solo 130mm, Hayes HFX-9, and the Crank,derailer,shifters and cassete Shimano SLX, have been pricing up and can get it all in for £671. This leaves out wheel, I will need to upgrade those last as my current brakes and crank are on the way out.

Is this a good set up for the price or is there better packages out there?

Thanks for all the input
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Go for the Tora 318 over the Recon for jumping and drops - steel legs are stiffer and stronger.

Decent budget wheels here:

http://www.woollyhatshop.com/view_product.php?id=1336

Or go for Deore hubs on EN321 rims.
  • neonblue
    I currently have a Claud Buler cape wrath d24, it was my first mountain bike and has done me the best part of 18 month. Lots of things need upgrading so I thought maybe time to look at options. Not that fussed about flash gear just need a bike that helps tear down trails at scary speeds.
  • neonblue
    Thats a quality fork for very little pennies!!! Is thee a down side to the fork? This means that I could afford the wheels. Being quite fresh are formulas have a good rep?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    neonblue wrote:
    Thats a quality fork for very little pennies!!! Is thee a down side to the fork?

They're pretty hefty... But not such a downer in your case as it usually is. Oh, and lots of steel to corrode if they're neglected.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Gwaredd
    Gwaredd Posts: 251
    I ride an old Claud Butler Stone River frame. Has been used & abused for over 2000+ miles including black runs at Afan & it hasn't complained once! They're heavy for a reason :wink: