Interesting prices for Campy 11

dennisn
dennisn Posts: 10,601
edited July 2009 in Road buying advice
One of the bigger online retailers here in the U.S.(Colorado Cyclist) has ALL of the Campy 11 speed stuff on sale.

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I like how they put groupsets bundled with wheelsets, how novel .......
  • dennisn
    I like how they put groupsets bundled with wheelsets, how novel .......

It's a great idea, and who doesn't have an extra 4000 dollars or so just laying around?
    Pocket change!!! :wink::wink:
  • giant_man
    Well yeah! Snip I reckon eh Dennis? :wink:
  • dennisn
    Well yeah! Snip I reckon eh Dennis? :wink:

The whole idea of the 11 speed stuff being on sale sort of shocked me. Has Shimano,
    with their electronic gear, or new 7900 DA really put a hurting on Campy? I haven't noticed any 7900 DA being on sale. What about "over on your side of the pond"?
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Well I did read Shimano's sales were down 19% in the first quarter. It's not clear whether that is fishing reels or groupsets though.
  • giant_man
    No it's not cheaper over here as yet, unfortunately. :evil:
  • maybe I can't see the magic link but the Campy sale prices I'm seeing on that website still look much higher than you can get the Campag stuff for here in the UK.

Doubt that Dura-ace is causing that much of stir. My observation seems that generally people seem to be set on a brand, so are unlikely to not buy Campag for Shimano or vice versa.

Planet X have the 7900 Dura-Ace groupset for £999 at the moment.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Gnerally the Campag stuff seems,not to have been affected by the exchange rate,nearly so badly as Shimano,so in many cases,I reckon that if someone was buildinga bike up from scratch that they would look quite seriously at the Campag option,
    Merlin cycles and RIbble have some nice deals on Campag groupsets.
    Merlin have an offer on the Veloce groupset with Khamsin wheels for £399.
    That would just about buy a 105 groupset.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    edited July 2009
    From the Parker International Newsletter I received today:

Now in stock, the all new

Campag Athena 11sp Groupset - ONLY £829.00

Shimano Ultegra SL 10sp Ice Grey Groupset - ONLY £655.00

Limited stock

Shimano Dura Ace Di2 7970 Electronic Groupset - ONLY £2324.00 :shock:
    (You can get a decent bike with decent gear for that price)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    all the groupsets on the Parker site seem to be heavily discounted from SRP. Not in the market for such expensive stuff, so I couldn't say if prices have recently dropped. Might be clearing out 09 stuff to make way for 2010 ranges??
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    It may have escaped your notice but there is a recession on. One that is hitting the retail sector particularly hard, so is it any surprise that large retailers are discounting?
  • maybe people are just buying up the old campag 10 speed stock instead of making the leap to 11, hence the 11 isn't shifting?