LX V-Brake Query

jedi_master
jedi_master Posts: 888
edited June 2009 in MTB buying advice
Ordered and received the LX V-Brake kit from Merlins today and I have a query about the calipers. Merlins site says they are the latest m580 which should be silver going buy pictures on shimanos north American site but these are black with a grey stripe same colour scheme as the T660 on the European site except they look more like the m580s. The tension screws don't stick up at a angle like the pictures of the T660s do and they didn't come with that power modulator on the end of the noodle but they do have the same looking rubber boot.

So are these M580s like advertised or T660? and is there any power difference between 580 and 660?

The levers are the two finger M571 levers.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The one without the silly modulator is better. SOunds like you have a 580.
  • jedi_master
    Here's a picture of them.

th_brake-1.jpg

Only reason I have asked is because of the colour and the rubber boot are the same as the T660 but apart from that nothing else about looks like the T660 more like the M580.
  • supersonic
    It should say the model number on somewhere - probably near the springs. Much of a muchness anyway, apart from that modulator.
  • jedi_master
    Yeah it does, right hand caliper(left in pic) says T660. So apart from that power modulator the M580 and T660 are the same? stopping power wise. Although shimanos site states under the T660 "107mm arch for better clearance with mud guard/lamp " but the ones I have don't look that wider than that one a deore v-brake I have.

What is that power modulator thing any way?
  • supersonic
    Power of all V brakes is about the same - pads and lever leverage make the differences.

The power modulator adds a spring to the noodle which stops the wheel locking up as quick - is for old people who don't know how to brake to stop them gping over the bars lol.
  • jedi_master
    supersonic wrote:
    The power modulator adds a spring to the noodle which stops the wheel locking up as quick - is for old people who don't know how to brake to stop them gping over the bars lol.

LOL.

Thanks for the info.