Big problem Sora Gear derailleurs or flightdeck shifters

9scrumhalf7
9scrumhalf7 Posts: 5
edited June 2009 in Workshop
Hi all, just bought used Ridgeback horizon triple for getting back into road biking after afew years and cos the old git finds it difficult to get up off road ascents these days!
Bought off guy who is disappearing abroad at road side meet. At the handover I found that the rear derailleur did not change from 3rd sprocket even though shifter clicked for both up and down movement, the front set shifted upwards so thought was ok.
Got back home cleaned it and found that the lthe front derailleur won't move back down and the shifter is stuck and won't click anywhere up or down. Before I start dismantling anything, can anyoine advise what the prob may be and any remedy please. I have never used this type of shifter before as my old Sun Solo of 1979 vintage is unindexed and shifters are on the down tube!. Unfortunately I was under time pressure to get back for an important meeting 20 miles away otherwise I woulkd have looked at it more closely, but i did get a reduction in price!!. Thanks , Phil

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    what kind of shifters does it have? With Shimano Sora you move up to a bigger sprocket (rear, usually right hand lever) or chainring (front, left hand lever) by pushing the brake lever inwards towards the middle of the bike. Moving down to a smaller sprocket / chainring is achieved by pressing down on the little thumb lever. On Shimano groupsets Tiagra and higher the thumb lever is replaced by a second lever behind the brake lever.
  • keef66
    what kind of shifters does it have? With Shimano Sora you move up to a bigger sprocket (rear, usually right hand lever) or chainring (front, left hand lever) by pushing the brake lever inwards towards the middle of the bike. Moving down to a smaller sprocket / chainring is achieved by pressing down on the little thumb lever. On Shimano groupsets Tiagra and higher the thumb lever is replaced by a second lever behind the brake lever.
  • keef66
    oops! concentrating more on my mars bar than the keyboard.
  • Thanks - they are Sora Flightdeck and I am aware of how they operate -= they just don't work! A flick of both the brake lever and other small lever and the "click"is there on the rear shifter but the derailleur will not move, however ther is no click at all on the shifter for the front derailleur and no movement on the derailleur itself. Effectively I cannot chnge either the front or rear cogs. Thanks, Phil
  • keef66
    undo the bolt securing the cable at the derailleur; can you get the requisite number of up and down clicks from the shifter? Is it pulling / releasing cable? Can you move the mech sideways at all by hand?

Have a look on the Shimano website, Park Tools, or Sheldon Brown for step by step guides to setting up from scratch.

If you do conclude something's broken, I hope it's the cables (cheapest) or mechs (next cheapest) rather than the shifters. If the shifters, Ebay could be your friend