Devil Ride - test ride report!

PhilWeaver
PhilWeaver Posts: 22
Just quick link to a write up of our Devil Ride recce on Sunday - http://www.cyclosport.org/members/myBlo ... size=1#675

Thanks to Dave Lee for the kind words and to all for the great company...not forgetting the Ty Te Twm cafe for the bacon rolls :twisted:

Down to under 50 places now (at http://www.cyclosportives.co.uk/devilHome.htm) - following the test ride on Sunday we are confident that all of the hard work that has gone into route planning has been worth every minute - the route is even better than in 08, with a great mix of high moorland, wooded lanes and sleepy meadows and an ideal balance of tough climbing with gentler rolling/sweeping stretches...finished off with a highly enjoyable 10 mile final run in along the Usk valley.

Cheers, Phil.

Comments

• Hi Phil, glad you are recovered after your crash. The new route sounds great. Last year was my first ever sportive and I loved it even though it was pretty tough!
    As it is a bit longer this year are the timing standards staying the same or will they change a bit from last year?
    Really looking forward to it, hope the good weather returns in July, although a bit of wind and rain didn't stop us last year :)
  • PhilWeaver
    PhilWeaver Posts: 22
    You will be happy to hear Jack that the standards have been adjusted for the extra distance :-)

We are posting out the Event Guides, bike numbers and tee shirts at the moment - quite a laborious after-work evening job, but all should be in the post by Thursday :-) Event jerseys will then follow.

Just 27 places left for Devil Ride now - we are looking at adding a few more, but are nervous about over crowding, food stops etc. Will decide in next few days!

Phil.
    Devil Ride - 12th July - http://www.cyclosportives.co.uk/devilHome.htm
  • That's good news Phil. I think a gold might still be just out of my reach but every little bit helps! If I can get in with a fast bunch then maybe....

Look forward to getting my entry pack and jersey soon!
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    I had a look at the website, but I couldn't find out what the total amount of climbing is for the longer route? Any chance someone can post it up?
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Scott08
    Scott08 Posts: 21
    I rode most of the route a few weeks back and it was quite similar to my route mapping software. I make the full route about 2500-2700m or thereabouts. Last year was 10% more on my computer but was a bit shorter.
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Scott08 wrote:
    I rode most of the route a few weeks back and it was quite similar to my route mapping software. I make the full route about 2500-2700m or thereabouts. Last year was 10% more on my computer but was a bit shorter.

Thanks for the info. I presumed it was less than 3000 as the gold standard would be one hell of an effort with large amounts of climbing.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB