Hands up who rides more than 186 miles per week

fuzzynavel
fuzzynavel Posts: 718
read this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8124458.stm

You are probably damaging your soldiers!!

I only do 120miles a week so I am only partiall infertile!
17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!

Comments

• Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Doesn't this story resurface every year?
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Sweet!

No kids for Chaz then!!! WOOOO!!!!

:D
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    oh dear, ah well at least it saves money on wire coat hangers.
  • brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    For the last two weeks ive been between 240 and 320 per week- must do more if it means i wont have to suffer the inconvenience of a child playing havoc with my cycle funds!
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    180 a week would be a steady week of cycling.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    I think Chris boardman has five children and I can't help but think he used to do more than 186miles a week.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Heat from wearing tight clothing, friction of the testes against the saddle and stresses on the body from the sheer amounts of energy needed to do such rigorous exercise, could all contribute to poor sperm quality, said Professor Vaamonde.

What if your saddle has a hole in it? I never have any "friction" in that area. :shock:

By the way, i've seen many many more articles over the years in sports magazines which say that exercise is a great way to increase your count. The advantages of doing 180+ miles would probably outweigh the problems in my opinion.

Regular alcohol intake would be a lot worse than cycling.

Anyway, looks like my banana addiction will pay off. 8)

http://ukrealestatesite.com/articledeta ... perm+Count
    Bananas, avocado, and almonds or other nuts are some of the other food products which help to increase sperm count.

http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/as ... -has-.html
    Increase your husband's intake of bananas. A deficiency of zinc is considered a reason for low sperm count. Bananas are very rich in zinc and can help with this problem.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Excellent! I knew there was a reason I persisted in racing, despite being crap AND continued to drink.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • hamstrich
    hamstrich Posts: 112
    Bhima wrote:
    Heat from wearing tight clothing, friction of the testes against the saddle and stresses on the body from the sheer amounts of energy needed to do such rigorous exercise, could all contribute to poor sperm quality, said Professor Vaamonde.

What if your saddle has a hole in it? I never have any "friction" in that area. :shock:

Bhima, if your nuts are dangling through the hole in your saddle you're probably doing something wrong...
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I think Chris boardman has five children and I can't help but think he used to do more than 186miles a week.

Christ - even Lance just managed to knock up some poor girl - and he was supposed to be infertile!
  • Murr X
    Murr X Posts: 258
    I imagine that this might have more to do with the reduction in GnRH released from the hypothalamus that is caused by hard training than it has to do with sitting in a saddle. GnRH causes the pituitary to release luteinizing hormone which in turn stimulates the testicles to produce testosterone and sperm.

Endurance athletes including cyclists are known to have significantly lower than normal sex hormone levels (when training hard).

Also hard training and long miles can cause a lot of oxidative damage to tissue from excessive free radicals which I strongly suspect can harm sperm quality. Remember that training and riding long distances is a stress on the body.

Staying away from alcohol is good advice as alcohol reduces testosterone as well as having multiple other side effects that we are all aware of.

In general I feel that amateur athletes do not eat as healthily as they may think and do not get all of the nutrients that they require. There is also the question that is a perfect diet enough for elite endurance athletes or is supplementing with vitamins and minerals necessary?
  • Yeah, but it's a load of bo11ocks though init?

Where is Ben Goldacre when you need him? http://www.badscience.net
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Murr X wrote:
    I imagine that this might have more to do with the reduction in GnRH released from the hypothalamus that is caused by hard training than it has to do with sitting in a saddle. GnRH causes the pituitary to release luteinizing hormone which in turn stimulates the testicles to produce testosterone and sperm.

Endurance athletes including cyclists are known to have significantly lower than normal sex hormone levels (when training hard).

Also hard training and long miles can cause a lot of oxidative damage to tissue from excessive free radicals which I strongly suspect can harm sperm quality. Remember that training and riding long distances is a stress on the body.

Staying away from alcohol is good advice as alcohol reduces testosterone as well as having multiple other side effects that we are all aware of.

In general I feel that amateur athletes do not eat as healthily as they may think and do not get all of the nutrients that they require. There is also the question that is a perfect diet enough for elite endurance athletes or is supplementing with vitamins and minerals necessary?

I often think that... And then think that I am, afterall, an amateur athlete. I do this for fun, and living off supplements and never eating or drinking anything I shouldn't would severely hamper my enjoyment.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • fuzzynavel
    fuzzynavel Posts: 718
    hamstrich wrote:
    Bhima wrote:

Bhima, if your nuts are dangling through the hole in your saddle you're probably doing something wrong...

Thanks for the image of a naked dude with his balls hanging through his saddle eating bananas and filming himself on a HD camera.
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • Murr X
    Murr X Posts: 258
    Yeah, but it's a load of bo11ocks though init?

Where is Ben Goldacre when you need him? http://www.badscience.net
    Typical media scare tactics as they do every year before the TDF to make cyclists feel bad :D

I probably should have mentioned in my first post that most cyclists are OK in the downstairs department and that cycling not taken too far may do more good than harm, but being excessive may still cause issues.
  • 'cycling taken too far'...like that bloke who slept with his bike and did unmentionable things to it? Shudder.
  • Bloody hell, if 186 miles per week makes you infertile, i'm surprised mine hasn't dropped off by now :lol:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    yeah but she studied triathletes.

Everyone knows that Proper (!!) cyclists are hung like donkeys and enthusiastic to show it.

Just look at Cippolini, dread to think how many women he's impregnated...
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson