New Bike Suggestions

chris_17
chris_17 Posts: 14
edited July 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I'm new to Mountain Biking,been road riding for a few years, but want to get into mountain biking I'm after a bike for around £250, simply to 'test the water', and see if I like it, hence not spending all too much.

Do you have any suggestions about which ones to buy? Preferably from Evans, or Halfords as they're the closest to me. Thanks :)

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    if you just want to test the water, so to speak, I'd recommend going to your nearest trail centre, and hiring a bike.
    That way, you can try it out, on a pretty decent bike, and it will only cost you between 15 and 25 quid.
    Then, if you decide you enjoy it, consider spending money on a bike for yourself.

£250 quid is a lot to spend just to see if you like it or not.
  • At £250, not much! What are you looking to use it for?

There is a 'What Hardtail' thread at the top of the page that should help, but in order to make better suggestions we'll need to know more about the where's, why's, and how's!
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

A day where you don't learn something is a waste...
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Halfords it's the Carrera Vulcan and with the regular 20% off, Vulcan disc. It would also be worth tracking a Decathlon store down, then you can look at the Rockriders, stretch your budget a little and there's the Rockrider 5.3.
  • dickst3
    dickst3 Posts: 56
    Stretch to £350 and try the Commencal Normal Disc, thats what I would get on that budget. I am trying to stretch my budget to £5-600 (started at £300!)
  • chris_17
    Thanks for the replies, I've found a local bike shop, well it's not really local but never mind, anyways they have a Giant Boulder and a Giant Rock in, they looked good, do you thnk that the Boulder would be a better choice for a beginner for £200?
    Also that includes a service after 3 month etc. And they might know a little bit more than the people at Halfords :wink: I was also thinking about buying a new saddle and other bits from there also.

Good Choice?
  • blister pus
    Depends what the spec on the Boulder is like, it's a great frame and usually a good starter bike and you have all the perks of buying and supporting a small business. However a 20% off deal at halfords will get you a Vulcan disc and a better spec, it pays to box a bit clever and get the best possible deal for your money for an entry level hardtail. Halfords vary from shop to shop regarding staff who know their arse from their elbow but the same could be said for any lbs (local bike shop) so you would make sure everything was tightened and fitted before you parted with cash and walked out of either shop.
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    Halfords should give you a complimentary sevice too, to sort out stretched cables etc. They did when i bought my Carrera Banshee, though that was a long time ago....
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • chris_17
    It's either that (Giant Boulder) or the Saracen Mantra VX, for £40 extra. Thoughts?
  • blister pus
    The Halfords Saracen Mantra VX 09 in the clearance sale is only 21 speed, you'd be better off going for the 24 speed standard Carrrera Vulcan for a better all round spec. Giant Boulder is also 24 speed but I have a feeling it's only 75 mm travel on the fork but still a better option than the Mantra. The best option to you is waiting for the Halfords 20% deal on the Carrera range and getting a Carrera Vulcan or Vulcan disc though. Depends how patient you want to be be, it's not like Halfords don't do the deal every other weekend or so.