Genesis Core 20 2009 - low stocks!

dickst3
dickst3 Posts: 56
edited July 2009 in MTB buying advice
I made enquiries about the bike with a local store. They never gave me a price but said they didnt have one in stock but could get it within a few days if I wanted to order one.

I said I would want to try it first and I also asked what their best price was. Just got an email - no more stocks of it!

Is it normally easy to get a test ride?

Rich

Comments

• papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    popular bike and its quite late in the product cycle for the year. If its just for sizing then try if any of the cheaper version are about
  • dickst3
    Yep, I want to get the size right - I'm torn between the Core 20 and the Rockhopper.....
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    dickst3 wrote:
    Is it normally easy to get a test ride?
    It depends. A nationwide retailer told me they didn't do test rides on hardtails because 'they are all the same' lol
  • I wanted a core 30 but couldnt get one. So I plumped for the 20 instead and my LBS managed to get it in about 2 weeks ago. However I am waiting for my cyclescheme voucher to come through so I can go pick it up. Hopefully before the end of this week!
    AUT PAX AUT BELLUM
    My Kayaking Blog http://naefearjustbeer.wordpress.com/
  • dickst3
    well, they probably are all the same aren't they! :lol:

yeah, i am swaying towards the core as i like something a bit different! (edit - i just realised what a contradiction that is!)
  • keirtristan
    keirtristan Posts: 296
    Evans website says they're in stock there, not sure where you are and whether you can get to Evans. Worth trying.

Square Wheels have it on their website at £550 and Evans price match.
  • dickst3
    i think theres an Evans near tottenham crt rd, i'll have to phone them and see if they have stock.

cheers
  • keirtristan
    dickst3 wrote:
    i think theres an Evans near tottenham crt rd, i'll have to phone them and see if they have stock.

cheers

They had to order mine into store and would only do it if they took a £50 fully refundable deposit regardless of whether I purchased or not. Didn't make much sense to me but figured as I can get it easily I have nothing to lose.

Definitely best ringing first.

Take this link with you if you chose to buy:

http://www.squarewheels.biz/index.asp?pageid=101713 and they should price match.
  • dickst3
    thats useful to know, cheers
  • PinkSpider
    PinkSpider Posts: 37
    Bump! And hi.

Looking to order a Genesis Core 20 tonight, however not sure on if I should go for the 17.5/ 19". Anyone between 5'10" and 5'11" recommend me a size. Shall be mostly riding offroad, on rough ground and am used to riding small bikes (BMX/ 24" BMX).

I've had a look around the shops at various sizes and I'm sure a 17.5 inch is were I need to go. However I still want it to be comfy to sit on.

Also; I tried a friends 19" Specialized rockhopper and it felt very big and a little odd to ride (this could be because I'm used to standing on smaller bikes though).

Hope that makes sense (and that anyone can help).

Also; I've had a look round and cannot see a Genesis Core in my area to have a test on.

Cheers,
    Matt
  • keirtristan
    It's difficult to say. I'm 5'10" and have the 17.5". Got to bear in mind though that your own body geometry is not going to be the same as mine.

I would have said that trying it out is the only way to be sure but obviously that is of no help to you.

Sorry can't give you anymore advice.
  • dickst3
    same problem i have. i thought a 19" (i'm about 5' 10"ish) would be fine until i started lurking on the forum and reading about the sizing of different brands etc. although the store that was out of stock said a 19" would be my size.
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    Im 5ft11 and went for the 19" core20.
    Everyones different tho :wink:
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • PinkSpider
    PinkSpider Posts: 37
    As long as it's not too heavy, I can sit down and that I'm going to probably get used to it. Riding my 20/24" BMX for long distances killed me at first, however I can go for an hour or two stood up now (hurts my feet a bit mind).
  • Flashy
    Flashy Posts: 25
    I like the look of the Genesis Core 20 after seeing it in Evans cycles (£599), before that I'd been looking at the Gary Fisher Piranha (£650) in my local bike shop.

Problem is, I'm going to buy via cyclescheme and Evans aren't one of the partner retailers. All Genesis dealers in my area that are in cyclescheme are small independents so I doubt they'll price match.

How much room for negotiation do local independents usually have when it comes to price??

Thanks for your help.
    MTB; Genesis Core 20 2009
    Road; Trek 2.3

Reformed BMX biker.
  • If you are paying it up monthly via cyclesheme will it really be noticed if you are paying a few quid extra each month. I am paying a bit over the odds for mine but as I dont want to stump up the cash in one go and dont want to deal with internet shops for buying a bike via cyclescheme I am prepared to pay that little bit more knowing that I will receive a well put together and set up bike from my LBS. It will also be no problem to pop it back for its free service after 4-6 weeks. My LBS recommended I went away and ordered it from somewhere else as they couldnt price match but I was happy to spend the money locally.
    AUT PAX AUT BELLUM
  • keirtristan
    You've got to remember that the bike shop gets the full price for the bike, the savings you make are based upon tax excemptions.

For example a £1000 bike can be picked up for £600. Your company pays the bike shop £1000, they then claim the full amount back from you pre tax which means over a year you sacrifice £1000 of your salary. As you don't ever see £1000 of that pre tax money, you're only losing your post tax wages. They then also claim the VAT back on that bike.

Make sense?

Basically, you should be able to haggle any bike shop down as much on the cycle scheme as you would if you paid up front.

If all else fails Square Wheels are par tof the Cycle to work scheme, just order from them online at £550 (link above).
  • Flashy
    Flashy Posts: 25
    Yep that's what I thought, I was wondering what sorts of discounts are available (with a bit of negotiation) at Independent Bike Shops. I would also be buying a few extras like a helmet, lights, crudcatcher, decent lock etc.
    MTB; Genesis Core 20 2009
    Road; Trek 2.3

Reformed BMX biker.
  • The bike shop does not get full price, If it is through cyclescheme they take 10% of the voucher value. So for your maximum of £1000 voucher the shop has already taken a £100 loss compared to a customer coming in off of the street and buying the same thing.
    AUT PAX AUT BELLUM
  • Stormtrooper
    Stormtrooper Posts: 420
    If the core 20 is the green one theres one sitting in Skyline bikes in Glyncowrrg (Afan) and there's another in tredz showroom in swansea. If that helps anyone.
  • dickst3
    I was planning on going to Evans to try the 17.5 on Tuesday and the guy there suggested the 19! Now I have looked up the frame geometry:

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bike/core_20

and taken measurements 1 plus 8 and i get 29 3/4" for the 17.5 and 31" for the 19 - thats BB height plus seat tube - giving roughly the measurement to the top tube for clearance to my nuts - i'm a 31" inside leg so no clearance with the 19"!

or is that too simplistic?