Post Commute Hunger

monkeysm8
monkeysm8 Posts: 191
edited June 2009 in Commuting chat
I have read about folk wanting to devour an entire cow after their commute. Now I do 14.5miles each way and do not really feel that peckish after it??? Am I alive???

Comments

• Hey Jax
    Hey Jax Posts: 107
    monkeysm8 wrote:
    I have read about folk wanting to devour an entire cow after their commute. Now I do 14.5miles each way and do not really feel that peckish after it??? Am I alive???

I cant eat first thing,I often feel a bit sick when i first get in to work,(especially if ive really pushed it) but give me half an hour then Im ready... nom nom nom!!
    just had a nice cinammon/raisin bagel and a pint of tea! (too warm for porridge!)
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    There could be something wrong with your metabolism?

Or maybe your bike has too many gears.
  • bratboy
    bratboy Posts: 82
    There have been plenty of studies that show that a 60 minute areobic workout suppresses appetite due to the the release of peptite hormones, this is usual just a delay to the on set of hunger.

I'm guessing your commute is around the 60min mark.
    SC61.10a: FCN 3, with clip-on guards for winter
    Uncle John: FCN ?? knobblies, or 'fat' slicks n guards

If you haven't tried these things, you should.
    These things are fun, and fun is good.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    bratboy wrote:
    There have been plenty of studies that show that a 60 minute areobic workout suppresses appetite due to the the release of peptite hormones, this is usual just a delay to the on set of hunger.

I'm guessing your commute is around the 60min mark.

This is interesting - tell us more about this fizzyology fact.

What happens post the hour mark?
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • monkeysm8
    monkeysm8 Posts: 191
    tardington wrote:
    Or maybe your bike has too many gears.

How dare you! I am a one geared fiximalator dontchya know :D
    My commute going takes around 60mins as I have a 'kin heavy rucsack on :(
  • bratboy
    There have been a number of recent studies into the effect of exercise as an appetite supression, in particular between areobic exercise (running) and non-areobic exercise (weightlifting) and the release of two types of hormones. They have found that both suppressed appetite, but areobic more so, and that the effect is short lived, about 2hrs including the exercise time.

I recall, from many years ago, that Sarah Springman would do one bouts of intense areobic workouts when training for triathlon, as this fact had been noted back in the eighties though no one was sure why.

The effect is really to delay the desire to eat, tho longer exercise workouts will obviously burn more calories but the effect on suppression is less.

Also, exercising for more than 2hrs and you need to replace the CHO (carbs) stores burnt off or your performance drops significantly and ultimately you get the hunger knock.

• Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    bratboy wrote:
    Also, exercising for more than 2hrs and you need to replace the CHO (carbs) stores burnt off or your performance drops significantly and ultimately you get the hunger knock.

You are an asset - Big Brain Bratboy the fizzyology king.

Despite the appetite supression thing you really should onboard CHO (get me) immiediatley post exercise (15 miles / one hour commute). I've taken to having a carb drink (viper) circa 250 cals mostly carb straight off the bike to get me fuelling so I don't suffer on the ride home - this is the right thing non?
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Hey Jax
    Hey Jax Posts: 107
    Greg T wrote:
    bratboy wrote:

You are an asset - Big Brain Bratboy the fizzyology king.

Despite the appetite supression thing you really should onboard CHO (get me) immiediatley post exercise (15 miles / one hour commute). I've taken to having a carb drink (viper) circa 250 cals mostly carb straight off the bike to get me fuelling so I don't suffer on the ride home - this is the right thing non?

surely just eating food will replenish your carb deficit. i presume you work a full day before commuting home?
    I can't see the point in those expensive drinks
  • bratboy
    Not all food is nurtionally the same, and not all calories are good.

Some research has shown that during the first 2hrs post exercise are more crucial than later for resynthesising CHO into glucogen as the muscle have a greater capacity to take up blood glucose. The benifit reduces during that 2hr period.

However, there are other factors to also consider, such a muscle damage which will need repairing using protien. So it is thought a addiing a small amount of protien to your recovery snack helps. Then there is the effect of dehydration too.

So ideally, it seems that firstly you may not feel like eating much but CHO and and a small amount of protien (10g-15g) intake are necessary along with water after you have settled in a work, or when you arrive.

Greg T you are definitely on the right track - I'm not sure of the composition of Viper but is likely to give you about 60g of CHO, but little to no protien. Try having some prridge with skimmed milk if possible soon after.

another thing to consider at the moment with the temperatures as they are is sodium, and how much you have lost during your trip.

Hey Jax you don't have to use all these expensive drinks and bars, you can get much the same effect from making your own drinks and choosing fruit and oat bars from the health food shops. I for one can't afford to supply all my nutritional needs from say Powerbar or SIS.

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I've had this for years; after any decent ride and certainly when I first started doing this 20 odd mile run to work & back a couple of years ago, I have no appetite at all for an hour or so afterwards. Same with the big century the other week. Did the ride, had the long soak in the batch and then sat down for tea en famille and had to force myself to eat.

I've had it explained to me by someone who knows and it all made perfect sense, is nothing to be concerned about, and no I can't regurgitate the facts now.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I must be odd because as soon as I get in it's a bowl of cereal and a 'nana, plus drink.
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Atm, I'm not hungry post-commute if I have breakfast before I leave home (14 mile commute). However, I need more fluids (obviously), so have started again on the For Goodness Shakes when I arrive in work.

I used Rocks Organics squash on the commute.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I'm starving in the mornings regardless, more so after my commute. This am I rode 20 miles and ate my standard brekkie in the office - small bowl of Quaker Granola with a liberal covering of innocent smoothie.
    By lunch (1pm) I'm always ravenous but am trying to cut down as I've been eating too much. Last week it wasn't unheard ofor me to have a big serving of pasta with tomato and chorizo sauce and a sarnie :oops: Yet today I had a small Greek salad and a chicken wrap at 1pm and I'm still ravenous! Grrrr.
  • bratboy
    IP - Do you not have a mid morning snack/meal ?

Intake should really split into 5 smaller portioned meals, preferably with low GI foods tehn this will help keep the hunger demons at bay.

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Yet today I had a small Greek salad and a chicken wrap at 1pm and I'm still ravenous! Grrrr.

That's because you had a small Greek salad and a chicken wrap.

Salad is not food. It is what food eats.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    bratboy wrote:

Intake should really split into 5 smaller portioned meals, preferably with low GI foods tehn this will help keep the hunger demons at bay.

I've been trying this and have graduated onto six largish portioned meals a day, plus a load of crap :shock: I get the feeling I just have to get used to feeling hungry :roll:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    bratboy wrote:

No, perhaps I should try that, but I'm a 3 meal a day man really and it's a hard habit to break. I have a large appetite - last night I ate 10 fishfingers and a can of beans (after arsing up my Ocado delivery :oops: ) that just about filled me!

@CJ I know, I hate salad. In fairness this was a Greek salad so 100% lettuce free. I hate lettuce with a passion.
  • bratboy
    Hhmmm this maybe where you are going a little wrong.

Where do you get your vitamins and minerals from ?

It all comes down to only putting in what has been used up, and making sure what you put in is the best you find for the job.