Few questions about hope mono mini,s

bigdavevw
bigdavevw Posts: 213
edited June 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi!! I bought a hope braided hose at a boot sale, just wondering if i can remove the old plastic hose, and reuse the metal fittings? Or do i have to buy new ones to fit it?

Also If i want to strip the calipers and levers down for a reet good cleaning, do i have to buy new seals? or wil the pistons go back in ok when putting them back together?

cheers
dave 8)

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    I have reused the olives after shortening hoses, if you carefully remove them you should be OK to reuse them

Pistons should return OK without using new seals

Hope will have the exploded diagrams & tech docs on their website.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    be careful as the braided hose olives can be a different size to the ones for the plastic hose and also the outer clamp collar can also be different.

normally the hope olives are reusable almost indefinitely.

so dont start the job without have a means to get spares etc if needed.

also what is the hose you got?

branded or unbranded?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I asked Hope about changing the braided hoses on my Mono Minis to the plastic ones and they said olives and other bits were ALL compatable, irrespective of the type of hose.

Their only comment was to take care of the olives.

They replied vquickly to my email, so it would be easy to confirm this with them if your sure its a Hope braided hose for a Mono Mini?

(Although I still haven't got round to doing mine yet!..)
    *Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
    *C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
    *1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Captain Turok
    as long as it is a Hope hose bought at a car boot sale :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • if your sure its a Hope braided hose for a Mono Mini?

Agreed, they don't say Hope on them.. It would be easy just to call any old hose a Hope one, especially at a car boot sale!
    *Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
    *C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
    *1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes