Tubulars for deep carbon rims

deejay.
deejay. Posts: 665
edited June 2009 in Road buying advice
Wotcha!

I need some tubs for a pair of 50mm deep carbon rims. They'll only be used for racing, but I was hoping to find some which don't need valve extenders, so the valve needs to be at least 70mm. I'd like to find some with puncture protection too, and preferably foldable as they'll be used for triathlons too.

Any advice at all please? Most websites (e.g. Wiggle, which I use a lot) don't seem to list the length of the valve stem.

Thanks,

deej
He's more machine now than man. Twisted and evil...

Comments

• APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    What's wrong with valve extenders?
    Veloflex carbons are very good tubs.
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    All of the track tubs that I use have short valve stems and I think you’ll find that road tubs are the same – the market isn’t big enough to have loads of variation.

Don’t worry about using valve extenders BUT make sure that you use either the Vittoria or Conti extenders that replace the valve core and you won’t have any issues.

All tubs are foldable but I’ll leave it others to remark on the practicality of replacing a tub during a tri/road race - it’s just taken me the best part of 30 mins to break the glue bond and remove a punctured tub from one of my track wheels...!
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    +1 for Veloflex Carbons
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • deejay.
    I've got extenders from someone else. They seem okay pumping up the tyres, but pressure loss seems rapid (I've not fitted them properly yet). I'll check out the others. Currently I have Vittoria tubs (1 pair). I am going to use tufo tub tape, so here's hoping. Alternatively, which is the best sludge/puncture repair gloop to use, if any?

deej
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Use valve extenders where you remove and refit the valve core - not the stupid Zipp ones where you leave it in and the tyres deflate overnight. Use some Loctite Hydraulic sealant (542?) and they're unlikely to leak. Veloflex Carbons are nice, but pricey. Vittoria CX320s are nice too
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    deejay. wrote:
    Alternatively, which is the best sludge/puncture repair gloop to use, if any?

deej

Yesterday I repaired a Vittoria CX with Tufo Extreme Sealant as an experiment. Getting the rubber solution into the value hole was a bit of a faff, first the Tufo supplied valve core remover was too big for the Vittoria valve core (nice to find out at home and not on the road). Next up cutting enough of the bottles nozzle to get the gloop flowing whilst still being able to get the stuff into the valve tube was hit and miss. I'm hoping that by making a mess the first time I'll be better the next.

I pumped the tub up to 120psi and left it for 24 hours. On checking it had gone a little soft, down to 8psi. It's possible it's leaking from the valve core so as Monty suggests, I've resealed it with anti-shake and reinflated.

The next step will be going for a couple of hours ride on it. If it holds, there will be a small bottle of Tufo in my saddlebag from now on. I'm only expecting to use it as a get-me-home, but it's smaller and lighter to carry than the Vittoria product. A small bottle will do a pair of tyres. Or hopefully a pair of deflations.
  • deejay.
    Thanks guys. Noticed some Vittoria tubs now come with non-removable valve cores, so checking with the manufacturer to make sure I buy the right ones...

Cheers,

deej
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    deejay. wrote:
    I've got extenders from someone else. They seem okay pumping up the tyres, but pressure loss seems rapid (I've not fitted them properly yet). I'll check out the others. Currently I have Vittoria tubs (1 pair). I am going to use tufo tub tape, so here's hoping. Alternatively, which is the best sludge/puncture repair gloop to use, if any?

deej

Pressure loss will be rapid if they have latex "inner tubes", you'll just have to pump them up before each time you use them.

If you use slime etc, take care not to let the tyres go flat wiith the slime in, otherwise you might find when you come to pump up the tub the tube sticks together and rips itself to shreds.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    I've used Conti Podiums and Vittoria CXs - both with valve extenders, Zipp and Conti ones I think, they DO lose some pressure, not sure which the most but using plumbers ptfe tape on the tub valve before screwing on the extender helps. Wrap a few turns round the value, smooth it into the threads with your fingers then tighten the extender.
  • James_London
    James_London Posts: 530
    You can't avoid extenders so don't worry about that. New Vittoria 320tpi tubulars (Corsa CX II tubs) have a non removable core (the red ones) so you can't get Tufo in but you can Pitstop them.

I'd say either Vittoria Corsa EVO CX II in 23mm (the 320tpi 2009 version with a puncture resistant belt (PRB)) or Continental GP 4000SR if you prefer butyl tubes that don't need pumping so frequently. If you leave a bike for triathlons in a holding area for an extended period, the CX tubulars are latex tubes and won't maintain full pressure but on the downside the GP4000SRs roll like garden hoses compared to the CX IIs.

All tubulars are foldable so that isn't an issue though you might want to consider a less bulky model for a spare - Vittoria Crono CS is a good choice for example.

Use Loctite 243 (blue gunk in a red tube/bottle) on the valve extender threads to minimise risk of air loss through the extender (or it working loose on the road). Fit an extender to your spare too obviously as you don't want to be faffing with it by the road.