Pulling advice - pedals not women ;-P

downfader
downfader Posts: 3,686
edited June 2009 in Road buying advice
All the bikes I have ever ridden have been on flat pedals. No spds/clipless or straps. Mainly this is because I have to walk a small portion of my commute and clogs aint easy to walk in from what I can see.

But just lately I have been wondering if I can accelerate from the lights quicker and maintain a higher average speed if I did have someway of pulling on the pedals. :? I know they'll help on the hills.

So what are my options for the standard Kona jake pedal? Powergrips look tempting but I want to keep the pedal reflectors.

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    you can walk fine in mtb spud shoes

something like a Spesh Taho or Sonoma. Stay away from the race shoes as the soles are too stiff for lots of walking.

Once you use spuds I very much doubt you'll go back to flats/straps
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Cheers for that Maddog. I'll look into those.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You don't gain very much from pulling up on the pedals, you don't have the muscles for it and tire very quickly. You do however benefit from being able to apply power to the pedal for more of the stroke, confident your foot isn't going to slip off the pedal. Try to think of pedalling in circles rather than just stomping downwards.

Certainly helps me power over small hills without changing down a gear, but I'm not sure about being a benefit at the lights unless you can trackstand. Otherwise you're faffing around clipping in before you can really power away.
  • Gav2000
    Gav2000 Posts: 408
    I have SPD-R pedals that allow me to wear walkable style shoes that have the cleat hidden within the tread. The are even available flat on one side and SPD-R on the other which is good if you sometimes just nip out in shoes/trainers.

I got my flat one side / SPD-R the other side peadls from SJS Cycles, they were a lot cheaper than the Shimano alternatives and have lasted for over 2 years (including winter use) so far. Here's the link.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Riva-Riva-Sports-273L-Dual-Sided-Pedals--SPD-Rat-Trap-9444.htm

My shoes are made by Adidias and look like a lace up trainer, they have quite a stiff sole but are fine for walking in and the cleat doesn't scrape too dably on the road as its hidden.

Gav.
    Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
    Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
    Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
    You'll hear about him ever'where you go.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    keef66 wrote:
    You don't gain very much from pulling up on the pedals, you don't have the muscles for it and tire very quickly. You do however benefit from being able to apply power to the pedal for more of the stroke, confident your foot isn't going to slip off the pedal. Try to think of pedalling in circles rather than just stomping downwards.

Certainly helps me power over small hills without changing down a gear, but I'm not sure about being a benefit at the lights unless you can trackstand. Otherwise you're faffing around clipping in before you can really power away.

I agree with keef - pulling on the pedals is tiring. Concentrating on a smooth, round pedal stroke helps me to maintain higher cadence. I also find spd clips comfy and power transfer on hills is better, but they are a pain if you have to keep unclipping for traffic lights etc.
    Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    pottssteve wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

I agree with keef - pulling on the pedals is tiring. Concentrating on a smooth, round pedal stroke helps me to maintain higher cadence. I also find spd clips comfy and power transfer on hills is better, but they are a pain if you have to keep unclipping for traffic lights etc.
    Steve

You could learn to track stand :wink:

I have surprised myself in how quick it has come back.