Rump ache!!

MarinRockSprings
MarinRockSprings Posts: 26
edited June 2009 in Road buying advice
I bought a new road bike and took it for a ride, 30 miles. The bike was great but the saddle on it is killing my ass. I'm considering buying a Brooks saddle, my father owns one and he says "its like a hammock for my arse"

He has the one with the springs on and is fittd to his tourer(flatbar). I on the other hand want one for my road bike. The only problem I have with the Brooks saddles is that you have to were them in, this long process can be very painfull. Some peole have gone to desperate measures and attached a cushion to there leather Brooks b17.

Basically what I need to know is, are brooks saddle a good choice for road racing bikes, or is there a better choice out there. Also, I would like to know what saddles you ride so that I know what seems to be popular with enthusiastic riders.

The bike is a Cube Streamer 2009.

Thanks.

Comments

• Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    I like Selle Italiia saddles but my latest one is a Fizik Aliante and it's just soooooo comfy. The thing with saddles is they're a very personal thing and as such it's hard for a third party to make any recommendations. You can read reports and offerings like mine above, but, at the end of the day it's a trial and error job.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • I like Selle Italiia saddles but my latest one is a Fizik Aliante and it's just soooooo comfy. The thing with saddles is they're a very personal thing and as such it's hard for a third party to make any recommendations. You can read reports and offerings like mine above, but, at the end of the day it's a trial and error job.

thanks for that :D

I'll keep my eyes open for Fizik and Selle Italia. Just one last thing, What material would be more suitable for a long ride, leather shell or a carbon/kevlar shell?

btw, how much do you weigh? cos I'm 11stone and I'm 15-years-old
  • soveda
    soveda Posts: 306
    I like Selle Italiia saddles but my latest one is a Fizik Aliante and it's just soooooo comfy. The thing with saddles is they're a very personal thing and as such it's hard for a third party to make any recommendations. You can read reports and offerings like mine above, but, at the end of the day it's a trial and error job.

thanks for that :D

I'll keep my eyes open for Fizik and Selle Italia. Just one last thing, What material would be more suitable for a long ride, leather shell or a carbon/kevlar shell?

btw, how much do you weigh? cos I'm 11stone and I'm 15-years-old

Don't worry too much about brand or composition, go to your LBS and ask them if they have a selection of saddles you can try. It took me 5 goes before I found the one that worked for me (Specialized one below the toupe with a 143 width - I can't remember the name of it right now).
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    You'll probably go through a few saddles before you settle on one. Brooks saddles are fine of course, but you have to break the thing in first, and that's what puts people off.

Craftmanship saddles though.
  • You'll probably go through a few saddles before you settle on one. Brooks saddles are fine of course, but you have to break the thing in first, and that's what puts people off.

Craftmanship saddles though.

thanks, I know what you mean when you say you have to break them in.

Only problem I have is I'm a bit strapped for cash. Are there any main saddle companies that I should be lookiing out for cis I don't want to waste money.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Charge Spoon - at around £20 probably the cheapest and best saddle on the market..
  • agnello
    agnello Posts: 239
    2 words:

fizik arione
    Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    Eddy Merckx Strada
    Gios Compact KK
    Raleigh Dynatech Diablo
    Canyon CF CLX / Record
    Charge Plug 3
    Kinesis GF Ti disc - WIP...
  • softlad wrote:
    Charge Spoon - at around £20 probably the cheapest and best saddle on the market..

Reviews seem to be quite good for the Charge Spoon, what bike have you attached it to. The wiggle website says "the perch of choice for all XC, Enduro or Road riders", does it matter what bike the saddle is for (mtb, freeride,road) or is it just the fact that is comfortable or not.

thanks
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    softlad wrote:

Reviews seem to be quite good for the Charge Spoon, what bike have you attached it to. The wiggle website says "the perch of choice for all XC, Enduro or Road riders", does it matter what bike the saddle is for (mtb, freeride,road) or is it just the fact that is comfortable or not.

thanks

it only matters that the saddle is comfortable - not what bike it is attached to.
  • agnello wrote:
    2 words:

fizik arione

Nice, couple of cycling budies have them. they seem to like them. which model do you recommend becase the Arione is like a range, not just one model and price range start at about 70 and excede well over 200.

thanks anyways
  • softlad wrote:
    softlad wrote:

thanks

it only matters that the saddle is comfortable - not what bike it is attached to.

I'll keep that in mind

thanks.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Were you riding before you bought your new bike? If not, everyone starting cycling, or returning to cycling experiences the sore rump problem, irrespective of their saddle type.

If you are new to riding, or haven't ridden for a while, I would suggest giving the current saddle a few more rides before changing it, especially as you are strapped for cash.

FYI - I ride a FIZIK Arione and weigh 14st. It's a nice saddle, but I am tempted to try one of the "cut-out" types when I get my new Orca.
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    First off, having a sore rump may not be the fault of the saddle. A lot of people just have the fitting wrong - setting it a little too high is a common problem, as is sitting too far 'forward' on the saddle, not to mention the 'nose in the air' issue. Sometimes its an underwear issue - wearing underwear or padded shorts that chaff. So play around with your saddle for a while to see if it improves.

i wouldn't recommend an expensive saddle when starting out, as its too easy to blow the money by getting it all wrong. Get a cheap one, but be prepared to replace it if it doesn't work out. Most people end up going through a few before finding the 'right' saddle, and its not always the expensive ones that work well.
  • Cubic
    Cubic Posts: 594
    Check if any of your local shops are Selle Italia test centres, as these should let you try out a SI saddle with a 30day money-back guarantee if it doesn't suit you. I tried a couple of Selle Italia saddles in this way before finally settling on a Fizik Arione.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Also, and I'm not sure whether it was clarified earlier in the post, if you're not used to riding for a reasonable amount of time, or have had a bit of a break from riding, as I have, it doesn't matter what you sit on, your 'arris will hurt!

I guess the area around the sit bones toughens up after you've spent a reasonable time in the saddle... for example, last year I rode quite a bit and my Speccy Toupe was really rather comfortable - could happily ride for 2/3/4 hours plus with no complaints.
    Yesterday I rode 60 miles on only my 3 ride of the year and frankly my butt was in agony after about an hour.... nothing else about the setup had changed...

If this is the case, then rather than rushing out and buying a new one, check the current one is fitted in the right place, and give it a few more rides... if it's still like riding a razorblade after that, then go splash the cash..
  • Were you riding before you bought your new bike? If not, everyone starting cycling, or returning to cycling experiences the sore rump problem, irrespective of their saddle type.

If you are new to riding, or haven't ridden for a while, I would suggest giving the current saddle a few more rides before changing it, especially as you are strapped for cash.

FYI - I ride a FIZIK Arione and weigh 14st. It's a nice saddle, but I am tempted to try one of the "cut-out" types when I get my new Orca.

I have been riding quite allot before, 10 miles after school and 30miles on saturday and sunday and the seat that I have been using is a cheap wtb for a mtb.

I've just been for another ride on the road bike and my ass is painfull to touch, its not chaffing, its definatly the seat
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    strapped for cash and wanting a comfier saddle; I'd recommend you try a Charge Spoon first. I got one for £18 before the price went up, and it replaced the £40 saddle the bike came with. No longer think about saddle comfort, which is a very good sign. have a look on Ebay.

(your behind may be a completely different shape however, and find it excruciating)
  • keef66 wrote:
    strapped for cash and wanting a comfier saddle; I'd recommend you try a Charge Spoon first. I got one for £18 before the price went up, and it replaced the £40 saddle the bike came with. No longer think about saddle comfort, which is a very good sign. have a look on Ebay.

(your behind may be a completely different shape however, and find it excruciating)

thanks for the comment, I'll have a look