Recommend me some tyres, please

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited June 2009 in Road buying advice
Cooee,

It's currently lashing it down in HK on a daily basis but I'm looking forward to the cool, dry, crips autumn days when I can ride without sweating just putting my socks on.

I have a 'cross bike which came with 700x32mm tyres. These are fine at the moment - lots of grip but heavy. So I'll be looking to swap them in time for the fine autumn days. My main concerns are...

1. Puncture resistance.
2. Lower weight
3. Comfy ride
4. Grip

I was thinking of dropping to 28mm. I'm reasonably big (80kg) and some of the roads here are sh*te so I do not want punctures. I'll be riding 3 - 4 times a week, total of about 150km.

I'd appreciate personal recommendations - I've heard that Schwalbe are good but heavy (?). Thanks in advance,

Steve
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Conti GP4 Seasons in 28mm. Roll well, last well. grip well, not too heavy. There are tougher tyres but these are a good compromise.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Continental Ultra Gator Duraskins are a good tyre, well rated for their puncture resistance. Available in 700c x 28 8)
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Continental_Ultra_Gator_Duraskin_Tyre/5300002585/
    Cycling weakly
  • Cranks
    Cranks Posts: 129
    Conti GP4000s or Soma Everwears, can't beat either in a downpour.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    I love Contis - I've had no problems with either my GP4000s (summer bike) or GP Force and Attack (winter bike).

The Force and Attack have proved very good it wet conditions, although the very thin front tyre takes some getting used to (from a psychological perspective rather than in terms of feel/performance).
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Thanks, chaps
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    I use Conti 4000's on my road bike and the Conti 4-season on my urban fixie - in both cases this means riding a lot on some very poor road surfaces and often slick, muddy surfaces. Both have been very good, happy to recommend them. The 4000's definitely have a nicer feel on the road, but the 4 seasons have a harder outer surface that seems to make them more puncture resistent. Most people seem to like gator skins, but I've also heard of people who loath them - I think you have to keep them at a consistent high pressure to get the best out of them (or maybe there were some bad batches out there).