Deda Spectrum bars snap in half ! Help needed

Naz
Naz Posts: 353
edited June 2009 in Workshop
I was riding downhill yesterday at about 25mph when i hit a pothole and felt my handlebars break. I braked to a standstill, veering onto the other side of the road as I did so but luckly managed to stay upright and there was no oncoming traffic around.

The bars are Deda Spectrum full carbon bars, which I think retail for £150+. On inspection, the carbon had broken to the left side of the stem and the bars are now handing on by a thread. I cycled home the remaining 10 miles using the right hand side of the bars only, still intact, which was quite a challenge!

The bike (a top end De Rosa) originated from eBay so I don't have any receipts. What are my options? I have taken photos of the bars as they are still on the bike. As far as I know the bike and bars have done <1000 miles.

1. Who distributes Deda in the UK?
2. Do they have a replacement policy in these circumstances?

After this incident I will probably go back to alloy bars !

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Was the stem overtightened? I guess that's the arguement Deda will have if you try to make a warranty claim
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Warranties won't usually pass on to the new owner in cases of second-hand purchases.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Caveat emptor! You buy a bike on ebay and expect warranty protection as though you'd bought it new - particularly as you don't know the history of the bike and whether it has been crashed previously. Plenty of 'normal' reasons why a carbon bar would snap - just be grateful you've still got all your teeth, put it down to experience and make sure you follow the instructions for installing the replacement.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Naz
    Naz Posts: 353
    Having bought the bike second hand I don't expect warranty protection as if from new. I know for example that some products come with special guarantees, e.g. Blackburn products, Specialized helmets can be sent back and replaced.

I might send it back to them anyway for their R&D, it's of no use to me now. I'd never wanted Carbon bars/stem for this very reason, so now have the opportunity to go back to alloy!
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    It is not much use dending it to Deda as you do not have a full history.