Single Speed Commuter?

Steve_b77
Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
edited June 2009 in Road buying advice
Looking at my imminient move to London Village, I think a commuter bike is called for.

Not wanting to use either of my MTB's as I don't wanna slick up the Handjob and I'm in no way commuting on a Nicolai Helius, I've had a look at both of the above today.

If you we're going for a single speed commuter for 2-8 mile commute in the village, which would you go for?

Or any other suggestions?

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Pompino, like mine...

Although the new ones are white with pink accents, it'd look pretty good with white track wheels and pink halo twin rails.
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    I've got a Pompino which I'm currently riding fixed but am about to put a freewheel on. It's a lovely bike and I'd have no problems recommending it. Mine has drop bars but for commuting in London I'd probably go for flat bars or mary bars.
  • huuregeil
    huuregeil Posts: 780
    Have a pootle over to http://www.londonfgss.com - *lots* of info over there, if rather oriented to the hip crowd. Personally, as long as it's got a rack and mudguards, any fg/ss makes a great commuter!
  • Steve_b77
    How much do these pompinos cost?

I've found a Langster for £360 new and can get the flyer ona good deal from my LBS
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    Go for the langster.
  • Steve_b77
    I might just do that.

Gotta find somewherwe to live for a couple of months now :?
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I'd vote for the flyer tbh, I think it has better hardware on it....

pompino's are also a good choice, supporting a british business
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight