intergrated headset

1ronman
1ronman Posts: 9
edited June 2009 in Workshop
Hi
Could someone tell me the diference between a Intergrated headset and a normal headset
Cheers

Comments

• careful
    careful Posts: 720
    About £15.
    Seriously, some frames have the ends of the head tube machined so that the cartridge bearings fit directly into them. The ends of the head tube are usually belled out a bit to allow for the larger bearing. Non integrated have cups that have to be pressed into each end of the head tube. It is these cups that hold the bearings. As far as I can see the only advantages of integrated are:
      slightly shorter head tube - useful if you like to get low and aerodynamic no pressed-in cups to remove when you replace the headset fashion
  • 1ronman
    1ronman Posts: 9
    Cheers
    its just I'm about to bid on a TT frame and wanted to know if i was going to be wasting my money :D
    careful wrote:
    About £15.
    Seriously, some frames have the ends of the head tube machined so that the cartridge bearings fit directly into them. The ends of the head tube are usually belled out a bit to allow for the larger bearing. Non integrated have cups that have to be pressed into each end of the head tube. It is these cups that hold the bearings. As far as I can see the only advantages of integrated are:
      slightly shorter head tube - useful if you like to get low and aerodynamic no pressed-in cups to remove when you replace the headset fashion
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    Probably too late for your bid but I wouldnt worry one way or the other about the headset type. Integrated is more stylish but both are fine.