Newbie: training advise needed

Squillinossett
Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
Hi guys, looking for some training advise.

I have recently made the move from Bodybuilding (the past 5 years or so) to Cycling, this is due to a few injuries that refuse to go away and a new challenge.

Im at a loss as to how to train toward vastly improving my stamina and speed, both things I have cared little for in the past, and the opposite to what my body is used too (Lift heavy weight, sit down for 3 mins, repeat!)

Once I get into something I tend to take it quite seriously, as with BBing.

I do plan to drop to 15 stone, maybe 14.5 at about 9/10% BF, so i understand I wont be up there with the quickest guys due to the extra weight.

I will be training at the gym just twice a week now with the sole aim to keep myself at the above stats, so my training can work around this.

Cheers guys, any questions, please ask if it will help.

Comments

• Squillinossett
    forgot to add, im doing a 100 mile charity ride around manchester in sept and London to Paris next year, so these are the two events im aiming to get in shape for!
  • brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    Fella as an ex gym rat i know where you are coming from. Looking at the positive you i know if you have been a BB you do not mind hurting and you will be happy to know competing at this game is all about ability to suffer. You may be surprised to know the weights you are looking at are no prohibitive in racing or 'testing' at all and in fact and with some work on bike handling you may find ovals and velodromes could suit your genetic make up. I assume the injuries you have are either spinal or shoulder injuries as most others can be got round in the gym with clever lifting? If so do not make the mistake of waisting the leg strength you have gained in the gym. Keep shifting weight with the legs but decrease weight , increase reps and try to prolong time to total fautigue. You dont have to ditch the protein either ! If you are a big lean BB then losing that bulk will best be done slowly over time. Dont starve yourself as your body will begin to adapt itself over time. Can i recommend you buy this

http://cyclingweekly.ipcshop.co.uk/shop ... rUrl=/home

And use the beginners program and supplement with the leg weights plus a fair ammount of flexibility work to get those short bulky muscles moving. It should have everything you need in it for a good 4-6 weeks. And if not post here someone will help.

For what its worth im 6'4'' was 20 stone last year and am now 15 stone 2. Scored 27 points racing this year and done 16 TT's and only finished out of the top 6 twice. Clearly i wouldnt enter a mountain TT though!!!!
  • Squillinossett
    Thanks ,good to hear from someone that been in the same situation, yea, one is a niggly shoulder problem, that, as it happens wasnt caused by the gym! but its a big problem with heavy chest, shoulder work.

Dropped to 16.5 stone now so still some to go, im wanting to stay muscular, just not BBer big!

Diet isnt a problem at all as I was aiming to compete next year on stage, so this area is nailed.

Im using a slightly adapted diet I used last year to drop to 8% BF, but need to do it over a long time as I have the make sure i have enough fuel for rides so as not to burn muscle like paper!
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Hi guys, looking for some training advise.

I have recently made the move from Bodybuilding (the past 5 years or so) to Cycling, this is due to a few injuries that refuse to go away and a new challenge.

Im at a loss as to how to train toward vastly improving my stamina and speed, both things I have cared little for in the past, and the opposite to what my body is used too (Lift heavy weight, sit down for 3 mins, repeat!)

Once I get into something I tend to take it quite seriously, as with BBing.

I do plan to drop to 15 stone, maybe 14.5 at about 9/10% BF, so i understand I wont be up there with the quickest guys due to the extra weight.

I will be training at the gym just twice a week now with the sole aim to keep myself at the above stats, so my training can work around this.

Cheers guys, any questions, please ask if it will help.

Regular riding 3 or 4 times a week will see your cardio fitness/bike fitness improve markedly - Regular 20-30 milers are perfectly sufficient to get you going (ie you don't have to be pumping out 60 milers every other day) - regards the Manchester 100, try and get in 1 or 2 60 or 70 mile rides before the event - that'll get you used to time in the saddle, and the mental side of it (and it'll give you confidence that you can actually do the distance) - adrenaline on the day (and sense of pending achievement) will probably carry through the 80, 90 100 mile marks.
  • Squillinossett
    Cool, I did 70 miles last sunday without any problems, 64 today, so saddle time should be an issue, going 80 miles next week with some 1 or 2 shorter ones in the week