Marmotte Weather

Could be a warm one this year.. 34 degrees predicted in Grenoble on Friday.

http://www.meteo-grenoble.com/previsions.php

Russell
www.grenoblecycling.com

Comments

• richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    34 degrees. :shock: Yikes.
    Rich
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    Won't need to bring the leg-warmers then...
  • stjohnswell
    stjohnswell Posts: 482
    I was hoping for more like 17 degrees :(
  • .....I've been training all winter for this at 34 degrees ....perfect ! :?
  • richa
    Even worse. Latest update, now it looks like it is going to be hot, and wet.

Rich
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    FECK.
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • I guess it may change as the week goes on, but it's not going to be too cold. I see they're predicting 32 degrees for the south of England, and 36 degrees in Grenoble for Friday with a cooler 29 degrees for Saturday with 70% chance of rain. We will need big water bottles on the bike this year and a rain cape in the back pocket.

Russell
    www.grenoblecycling.com
  • my thoughts exactly, liversedge.

This forecast is still 6 days off, so if it's anything like the beeb it'll be completely different by tuesday. I hope :?

AS a survivor of last year's etape it'd be nice to avoid having a repeat of the '98 tour coming over the galibier.....
  • mark_d
    mark_d Posts: 61
    I guess it may change as the week goes on, but it's not going to be too cold. I see they're predicting 32 degrees for the south of England, and 36 degrees in Grenoble for Friday with a cooler 29 degrees for Saturday with 70% chance of rain. We will need big water bottles on the bike this year and a rain cape in the back pocket.

Ack. What're the descents like when the roads are wet?
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    grenoble had 32 degrees this time last year, was a few degrees cooler up in th'ills
  • http://www.meteo-chamrousse.com/previsions.php

Chamrousse is the ski resort that you can see from Grenoble, so you'll get an idea of the temperatures at the same altitude as Alpe d'Huez from the above link.

Russell
    www.grenoblecycling.com
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    my thoughts exactly, liversedge.

This forecast is still 6 days off, so if it's anything like the beeb it'll be completely different by tuesday. I hope :?

AS a survivor of last year's etape it'd be nice to avoid having a repeat of the '98 tour coming over the galibier.....

I won't be trying to put my rain cape on whilst moving unlike jullich and pantani if it's like that
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    In 2007 it was -1 at the top of Galibier and high 30s in the lower parts of the road to of Alpe D'Huez (Ken Night's computer actually said 42 degrees). The south-facing slopes get all the sun then bounce it back atcha at the very moment when you don't want it. I wish I was doing it again this year damn damn damn damn
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    AndyRubio wrote:
    In 2007 it was -1 at the top of Galibier and high 30s in the lower parts of the road to of Alpe D'Huez (Ken Night's computer actually said 42 degrees). The south-facing slopes get all the sun then bounce it back atcha at the very moment when you don't want it. I wish I was doing it again this year damn damn damn damn

Last year on Alpe D'Huez was HOT too, the streams running down the mountain can provide welcome relief though!
  • richa
    Ok, so let's assume it is going to be very HOT

How are you adjusting your fuelling strategy?

I was goinmg to do the following:

>0:00 @ Start >> 2x750ml
    +2:00 @ Glandon >> 2x750ml
    +2:30 @ Valloire >> 2x750ml
    +1:30 @ Galibier >> 2x750ml
    +1:30 @ Galibier >> 2x750ml
    +2:30 @ Finish >> Beer

What would you do extra in light of the heat?

+1x750ml at AdH?
    Rich
  • Better now, 30% chance of rain and 29 degrees. Sunshine in the morning.

Russell
    www.grenoblecycling.com

PS - when you log in to the Sportcommunication website, are you all down for the Marmotte and Randoneeur category?

Dossard N° : 7202
    Epreuve : Marmotte
    Catégorie : RANDONNEUR
  • richa
    when you log in to the Sportcommunication website, are you all down for the Marmotte and Randoneeur category?

Catégorie : RANDONNEUR
    Nope. Starts like this, but once medical certificate has been accepted it is updated to:

Catégorie : D Homme de 30 a 39 ans
    Rich
  • ded
    ded Posts: 120
    PS - when you log in to the Sportcommunication website, are you all down for the Marmotte and Randoneeur category?
    Yes, but a friend who e-mailed his scanned doctor's note a few days before me is now "complete" and no longer a randonneur, so I think they are just being slow in updating the website. Quel surprise! He's actually in France right now and persuaded the tourist info in Bourg to check with SportCommunication and they apparently said that as long as you show the doc's note at registration, you will get put into the correct category...
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Here's a recent forecast. for Bourg D'Oisans. Let's hope it changes for the better.
    (It did improve from yesterday).
  • http://www.meteo-grenoble.com/previsions.php

Okay, getting closer to Saturday and the forecast is now predicting a hot day with 34 degrees in Grenoble. That'll probably be about 29 in Bourg d'Oisans and make the first few kilometres of the Alpe quite hot. Thunderstorms predicted but still not sure.

Russell
    www.grenoblecycling.com
  • richa
    Currently 29deg in Grenoble. Still 30% chance of rain?
    Rich
  • only 10% chance of rain on sat afternoon and only a high of 28...bring it on ! :D