Help! Stem Still Slipping Despite Torque/Carbon Compound

simon johnson
simon johnson Posts: 1,064
edited June 2009 in Workshop
New FSA stem moving....I'm at 6nm as recommended and have applied some Tacx Carbon Assembly Compound! Driving me nuts!

Any advice much appreciated.

Simon.
Where\'s me jumper?

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    bars or moving on steerer?
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • simon johnson
    Sorry,

The stem is shifting from side-to-side on the steerer.

It does take a bit of pressure for this to happen- it doesn't shift at the slightest touch- it wouldn't be safe to ride in a sprint that's for sure.

Not sure if I should go tighter than the 6Nm? Probably not.....

Thanks,

Simon
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • simon johnson
    Hairspray isn't working either.... :cry:
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • simon johnson
    fsa_4.jpg

Could somebody tell me if this would make a difference: if the right hand side bolt was inserted in the lower opening, rather than the top (as in the picture). And, similarly, the left hand side bolt was inserted in the top, rather than the bottom?

I did have my bolts as described in the preceding paragraph but have now changed them to match the picture, and although I haven't road-tested it, the problem seems to have been solved. I did notice that the bolts went in a bit easier this time...

ps my stem is identical to that in the picture and is on the same 'flip-side' ie not with the 6deg rise upwards

As far as I can see, there is no mention of this in the stem's manual

:? :? :?
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    The bolts can only go in one way and still work. One side of the clamp has threads in. The other does not. The bolt goes in from the non threaded side. If put in wrong they would have no clamping affect at all.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    what's the silver thing under the top cap?
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • simon johnson
    edited June 2009
    John.T wrote:
    The bolts can only go in one way and still work. One side of the clamp has threads in. The other does not. The bolt goes in from the non threaded side. If put in wrong they would have no clamping affect at all.

Yep, I put those in the wrong way then!! What a dunce...

Thanks for confirming that John T :D
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • simon johnson
    maddog 2 wrote:
    what's the silver thing under the top cap?

Not sure maddog, it's not my bike, just some picture I lifted off Google images.
    Where\'s me jumper?