How do you get REGO smooth?

nicknick
nicknick Posts: 535
Is it possible?

I put the powder into the bottle, add a bit of hot water and shake, then top up with cold water, shake it like hell until i'm knackered and stick it in the fridge 'til i get back from my ride but it always manages to be lumpy and collect right in the bottom of the bottle! Making it with 100% cold water just isn't an option :evil:

Cant be just me??

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    yes! I make it with cold water but the secret is to use a shaker with a seive bit in it.
  • nicknick
    Like one of these?

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productde ... 0000000000

I use the SIS bottles because they have the measuring marks on the side, do these mixer bottles have the right indications?
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    i put the powder into the bottle with half the water put the top on and bash the bottom of the bottle on the worktop till all the powder has dislodged from the bottom of the bottle. then shake like mad. add the other half of water to the bottle. shake more. and drink. in between mouthfuls I shake it a bit more. generally its fine.

more importantly, how do you stop f@rting after drinking the stuff ? :lol:
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Why would you bother? For Goodness Shakes so mauch tastier and comes ready mixed. I keep several stocked in the fridge ready to go.
    Rich
  • liversedge
    Because they have a 2 month shelf life and cost £1.10 a pop. I bought my 1.6kg bottle last year at a total cost of £21 with 32 servings that's 65p a pop.

Almost half the price basically.
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • DanEvs
    DanEvs Posts: 640
    I use whey protein as a post ride recovery drink, how does the rego stuff compare?
  • liversedge
    Rego mixes in some carb too. Compared to something like maximuscle it tastes much, much nicer and can be mixed with water. my experience of whey is you need milk in there to make it palatable.

of course, whey is cheaper and you can always eat some carb at the same time and get the same effect.
    --
  • nicknick
    liversedge wrote:
    more importantly, how do you stop f@rting after drinking the stuff ? :lol:

Why would you want to stop? Farting is great :D

I went and bought a mixer bottle from the bike shop, only a fiver so i thought why not! A bonus is you can get your hand in to clean it properly unlike normal bottles.
  • DomPro
    DomPro Posts: 321
    Can't help you with the lumping problem. One alternative is to make it up when you get back after a ride and drink it then...? Only takes a couple minutes to do.
    Shazam !!
  • matterai
    matterai Posts: 176
    if you have too much of problem you could use a hand blender to mix it. U might find it's alright with the shaker though.
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    Why would you bother? For Goodness Shakes so mauch tastier and comes ready mixed. I keep several stocked in the fridge ready to go.

+1. I tried the Galaxy shake today after my club run. It tastes GOOOOOOOOOOD :D
  • Edwin
    Edwin Posts: 785
    Get a cheap blender and whiz it up. I use the Zipvit recovery powder sometimes, which is good, but haven't found it to be much more effective than a DIY version with milkshake, banana and generic whey protein. The only problem with the whey powder is if you blend it, it tends to froth up and you can't get it all in the bottle. The trick is to be organised and make it the night before so it can settle....
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    Or you could use a scoop out of a 5lb "value" protein tub e.g. Sci-Mx Whey, add some strawberry Nesquik and milk.

I'm saying this because I've never had any problems with mixing this brand, while the EAS one is a pain in the arse.

Then again, who has all of that to hand at the end of a clubrun, or a race/TT when they get back to their car?
  • Edwin
    Edwin Posts: 785
    "Then again, who has all of that to hand at the end of a clubrun, or a race/TT when they get back to their car?"

Um, I do, because I prepare it all the night before and take it to the race in a coolerbox!
    The mixer bottles with the grid in the top work resaonably well, but a blender / food processor is the way to go if you want it really smooth.
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    If you like whey protein, try the BSN Syntha 6. The flavours are gorgeous with water. Really REALLY nice. But pricey. I think you can get 3 for £60 on eBay. Bargainous!

I find whey to be good, as it's an instant hit of protein, and is absorbed fast. Plus, it has a few carbs too! Winner! You will not find a nicer protein ANYWHERE! I promise you. An mixes totally smooth!

Anyway, back to the OP. To make SiS Rego smooth - get Torq :wink::lol:

Seriously, a proper protein shaker would be a smart investment, with the mesh :wink: Failing that, buy some Torq recovery, much nicer too! I found SiS products industrial-y and chemical-y. Anyone else find the same???
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    Buy some chocolate flavoured whey from myprotein.co.uk, about £12.50 a kilo, then add in a couple of big spoons of sugar and some salt. Much cheaper than Rego, basically the same - I find no difference between the two.

Note regarding using milk as a base instead of water - I admit it tastes nicer (and I did it yesterday), but I also understand it slows down the protein absorbtion - whether its sufficient enough to make a jot of difference to recovery I have no idea.
  • LA
    LA Posts: 26
    Is it possible?

Put the powder in a resonable sized cup, add a small amount of liquid & mix vigourously with a teaspoon which will make the powder now into a paste. Once you've got it to this consistency just add more liquid & keep stirring.............
    Life is not a rehearsal