Giant Defy 2 or Boardman Comp? other suggestions?

Cambs21
Cambs21 Posts: 13
edited June 2009 in Road beginners
New to road cycling,i'm looking for a bike about 700-800,interested in the above mentioned,tho nervous bout Halfords! any other suggestions would be welcomed.Bike will be used to get fitness up,then i will upgrade in a couple of years..

Comments

• Essex Man
    Essex Man Posts: 283
    I also considered the Boardman, but ended up going for a Defy 3, despite the Boardman looking better value on paper. Reason was that it was my first road bike and didn't want to be relying upon Halfords for support or initial set-up and fit of the bike. Happy with my choice still.
  • Very happy owner of a Defy 2.5, would definitely recommend it, so comfortable and so easy to ride at any speed.

I would check whether the Giant is available though. I was in my LBS the other day and they were saying how they were having real difficulty getting hold of a lot of things at the moment, including the Defys
    2009 Giant Anthem X2
    2009 On One Il Pompino in SS CX mode!
    2009 Giant Defy 2.5
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Very happy owner of a Defy 2.5, would definitely recommend it, so comfortable and so easy to ride at any speed.

I would check whether the Giant is available though. I was in my LBS the other day and they were saying how they were having real difficulty getting hold of a lot of things at the moment, including the Defys

I found this to be very true also.
  • mattbass789
    mattbass789 Posts: 355
    I have a Boardman comp, im lucky enough to have a halfords where the guys know what theyre doing and are quick at what they do aswell, and tend to take a lot of care over the jobs in hand.

I appreciate as a first road bike maybe LBS can offer better support, but theres enough knowledge of bikes in my family so im ok. And theres nothing stopping you from taking it to an lbs after for a setup. The tiagra shifters and 105 rear mech are a dream for me.
    “If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on.”

@mattbeedham