Helmet Noise

rogerthecat
rogerthecat Posts: 669
edited June 2009 in Road beginners
Do more expensive helmets reduce the noise of the wind, sorry if thats not very clear; When riding faster than 11 Mph the noise of the air / wind rushing past is quite high, now then is it possible to reduce this noise?

Thanks

I know maybe a daft question :oops: but if I can fix it then all well and good.

:P

Comments

• Marko1962
    Marko1962 Posts: 320
    I have a Giro Atmos, it's noisy, it's moderately expensive...
  • DomPro
    DomPro Posts: 321
    Its a fair question. More expensive helmets don't reduce windnoise at all, and don't necessarily offer more protection either. TT helmets must make less noise due to being more streamlined.

My Giro helmet makes a lot of windrush noise but you get used to it.
    Shazam !!
  • rogerthecat
    rogerthecat Posts: 669
    Thanks fellas, Just thought I would ask,

One of the reasons I have asked, is that where I cycle mostly, the roads are quite narrow, and on several occasions I thought I have heard a car sat behind me, so I have pedalled like the clappers to find a place they can over take only to find nowt behind me. :oops:
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    you think youve got problems- i must have weird earlobes as i get wind rush noise even without a helmet! :D
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Marko1962
    Thanks fellas, Just thought I would ask,

One of the reasons I have asked, is that where I cycle mostly, the roads are quite narrow, and on several occasions I thought I have heard a car sat behind me, so I have pedalled like the clappers to find a place they can over take only to find nowt behind me. :oops:

Lol yes I'm also quite familiar with phantom cars

:lol:
  • Get it all the time.

Used to have Giro Monza which was noisy. Now have Giro Ionos which seems noisier.

I ride narrow country roads, often tree-lined, and always seem to be making allowance for invisible cars.
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    You could try using Gaffa tape over your ears! :lol:
    Cycling weakly
  • Marko1962
    Probably it's something to do with the more expensive helmets having more cooling vents in them so more wind noise generated from increased turbulence I would guess.
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Marko1962 wrote:
    Lol yes I'm also quite familiar with phantom cars

:lol:

Yep, I know that feeling
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    I reckon I hear cars better with headphones in as they eliminate wind noise (though I only listen to radio 4)