Heat & Hydration

Road Red
Road Red Posts: 232
Had a long and very hot run today.

What is the recommended min/max level of fluid intake per hour?

SIS recommend using electrolite drinks in the heat. Should these be used instead of or in conjunction with the standard carb drinks?

Thanks

Comments

• Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    In this heat I'm using approx 600-700 ml of orange squash an hour - typically get through an 800ml bottle in a quick ~ 25 mile ride. Not sure what the recomended values are. I'd guess some could go with 500-600 an hour wheras others could go through 1 litre an hour - aslong as you're getting well-hydrated, it doesnt matter.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Road Red wrote:
    Had a long and very hot run today.

What is the recommended min/max level of fluid intake per hour?

SIS recommend using electrolite drinks in the heat. Should these be used instead of or in conjunction with the standard carb drinks?

Drink to thirst, but make sure you have plenty water on your bike always so you do drink to thirst, and don't decide to skip it as you don't want to stop, as once you go too far ignoring thirst your body can stop demanding it...

Electrolytes make little real difference, but they are rarely harmful.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Do cyclists ever suffer from hypoatremia?

The thing you're aiming for is to avoid de-hydration and excess hydration leading to a need to pee!!!!

The best way to do this is to drink small amounts regularly when riding, very the rate of intake each ride until you find your rough level, then you can take more when it is hot and less when it is cool
  • Wogan
    Wogan Posts: 203
    Do cyclists ever suffer from hypoatremia?

The thing you're aiming for is to avoid de-hydration and excess hydration leading to a need to pee!!!!

The best way to do this is to drink small amounts regularly when riding, very the rate of intake each ride until you find your rough level, then you can take more when it is hot and less when it is cool

Sensible advice - there are so many variables involved it's impossible to derive a simple "litres/hour" formula to stick to. Little and often, keep an eye on how you're feeling.

I know this is verging on blasphemy, but might I suggest that you just take it a little easier in this hot and humid weather!

It's entirely possible for cyclists to go hyponatraemic if they drink lots more than they sweat/pee. That includes taking on too much water by over-enthusiastically "re-hydrating" after a ride. Little and often...
    <font>Hemingway Soapbags</font>
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I imagined that it could happen, but does anyone know of it happening?