Help a newbie out: Suspension adjustment?

Hunders
Hunders Posts: 22
edited June 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Firstly, a big hello!

I purchased a GT Aggressor XC1 the other day and it's a brilliant bike but I am a little curious about something on the suspension that I was hoping you lot could help me with.

Here is a picture of the part that I'm talking about:

51862959.jpg

Here is one without the rubber grommet inserted.

offx.jpg

Is this for stiffening/reducing stiffness in the forks and if so how do I work it?

Cheers.

Comments

• LoUiS1985
    LoUiS1985 Posts: 841
    is it a marzocchi fork??
  • Hunders
    It is indeed. A 33R if I'm not mistaken.
  • LoUiS1985
    here is a link to the technical manuals, info should be in there

http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/listS ... K&Sito=mtb
  • Hunders
    I have the manual, which is exactly like what you linked to, but it's pretty useless and doesn't tell me how to adjust the fork. That's why I thought I'd ask here.
  • LoUiS1985
    pretty sure that dial is for the preload adjustment, see link below

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12597039
  • LoUiS1985
    i don't own any marzocchi forks so am not greatly familiar with them
  • Hunders
    I think you're right about it being for the preload. I would tinker with it and see what happens but as I am unfamiliar with the workings of bicycle suspension I don't want to break anything.

Thanks for trying to help, mate. Hopefully someone that has owned some will have a look.
  • LoUiS1985
    you won't break anything just by winding the adjuster!!! i think that by winding the adjuster clockwise it will wind the spring down, making the fork feel 'firmer' or 'stiffer' but give you slightly less travel. and anti clockwise will do the opposite ('softer' and more travel)

your settings will depend on your weight, riding style, intended purpose etc...
  • Hunders
    Ah, ok, I might play around a little then. The reason why I was hesitant to have a play was because I didn't want a spring popping out or something.

Cheers.

EDIT: After having a play I'm still left in the dark as to what it does. Firstly, I turned the bolt with a spanner and all that seemed to happen was as I turned it, it started coming out of the fork which was no good. I then tried turning the little screw underneath the rubber grub with an allen key and it would go into the fork by about a centimeter or two but I couldn't notice anything happening with regards to suspension dynamics.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    LoUiS1985 wrote:
    you won't break anything just by winding the adjuster!!! i think that by winding the adjuster clockwise it will wind the spring down, making the fork feel 'firmer' or 'stiffer' but give you slightly less travel. and anti clockwise will do the opposite ('softer' and more travel)

your settings will depend on your weight, riding style, intended purpose etc...

Not quite. Preload adjusters set how much the fork sags under the rider weight by increasing the force reqauired to start the forks action. Total positive travel is unchanged, and so is the spring rate.

Basically adjust until the fork settles 25% into its travel when you are stood on the bike.
  • LoUiS1985
    Not quite. Preload adjusters set how much the fork sags under the rider weight by increasing the force reqauired to start the forks action. Total positive travel is unchanged, and so is the spring rate.

Basically adjust until the fork settles 25% into its travel when you are stood on the bike.

there you go hunders, the expert has put right my wrongs!!

BTW sonic, do you choose to have that pic of you with the cheesy grin in WMB mag, or is it the only one they have?? :? :lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Ha, well, there are worse pics!
  • Hunders
    Ah, thanks. Now I have a better understanding on what it's supposed to do I'll have another go at it after dinner.

Cheers.