I was given a bike for free today

Deadeye Duck
Deadeye Duck Posts: 419
edited June 2009 in Commuting chat
I posted this in the purchases thread but I'm that excited & this place is pretty dead at the moment, so I'm giving it a thread so I can talk about it a lot without derailing the purchases thread
All that moaning I did about wanting a frame with fancy lugs seems to have paid off. A lovely old chap across the street gave me one for free this morning while I was cleaning mine! :D

Here's some photos of it:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39884562@N06/sets/72157620491010211/

That was my initial post in the purchases thread.

Since then I have found out it is a 1955 'The Flying Scot' and all the shimano stuff was obviously put in at a later date.

The rear brake appears to be the original though and so does the rear QR. I've given it a quick clean up and I'm in love. The detailed lugs are gorgeous, and apart from the chain jumping a bit and skipping a gear once or twice while I took it round the block, it appears to be in fully working condition eep! :D

I found a blue bike from the same year on gumtree listed for £1100 too :shock:

I'm over the moon! :D

I feel a restoration project coming on...
Schwinn Fastback Comp : FCN 5
The Flying Scot : FCN 515q6cuv.png
My Life, My Bike & My Xbox

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931
    Why that's not even carbon! :lol:

Nice bike, keep the thread going with many step by step restoration pics
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • toshmund
    toshmund Posts: 390
    Not wishing to stereotype...I hope you gave him a decent bottle of Malt for that! Well done mate, does look lovely.
  • Deadeye Duck
    I was busy cleaning things when he gave me it but I made sure I knew which house he lived in so a bottle of 12yr and a bunch of flowers can be given at a later date. (i.e. when I've been to the shops :lol:

The guy was saying he had it, then his son used it, but his son has since bought a new bike (which was in his garage too, and it was a stunner of a vintage too, think it was a peugot(sp?), looked like it was kitted with campag too.

I will indeed keep the thread updated with step by step pics. I'm currently looking to see if I can get the decals off ebay somewhere so that I can have the frame resprayed to get rid of all the chips. The gf wasn't too happy with me getting another bike so soon but when she seen it, she changed her mind, I think she thought it would be some rust bucket pile o' crap.
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    I dont believe it
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    hmmm, :idea: why that may somehow be linked to this thread here http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12633006 :?
    Cycling weakly
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    skyd0g wrote:
    hmmm, :idea: why that may somehow be linked to this thread here http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12633006 :?

:lol: I went and checked the times :wink:
  • Deadeye Duck
    note how the flowers and malt haven't actually been given in return yet :wink:

Still digging up info about the bike. It seems I have a differend headtube logo to normal, but it is definitely a 'Flying Scot'

After looking about, I think I may have to get the decals custom made. I was expecting one or two of them to need to be custom, but was hoping the 'Flying Scot' decal would be available... Oh well.

EDIT: found decals on trusty ol' flebay :)
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Dayum, that is purdy.
  • Deadeye Duck
    what worries me is it's actually lighter than my other bike! :shock:
    Ok, my other bike has a saddlebag full of things, a pump and lights etc, but still. This skinny little steely, is just under 1kg lighter!
  • Deadeye Duck
    Just a quick question; what do you reckon i could get for all the 105 stuff on it currently? (Funds will be going towards parts that came from the same era as the bike i.e campag, brooks,
    Weinmann.)

Heres a list of what's on it that is not original:

Shimano 105 front wheel, front brake caliper, brake lever x2, downtube shifter x2, front derailleur, rear derailleur, crankset, toeclip pedals, headset and i can only imagine the bb too.

Oh and also a spesh saddle.

The 105 stuff barely looks used.
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    I'll give you 47d for the lot.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    bammy jastard.

That is all.