anyone for tennis?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited June 2009 in The Crudcatcher
anyone watching or going to watch the wimbledon action?

im not a particular fan but i really enjoy wimbledon (in the same way as i enjoy the crucible evn though i dont/cant play snooker) im very much looking forward to andy muray's performance later today.

i think terry wogan mentioned it yesterday during an interview, if he wins and whilst he is doing well, he is a british sporting hero, if he loses, he will be scottish again!

it would be ace (see what i did there!?) to see him do well.

Comments

• blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    I used to love (see that) watching the game, especially Wimbledon but when they altered the rackets and balls it turned the game in favour of power over skill too much (there have been a few outstanding exceptions in recent years) but for the most part it bores me now and there are no personalities either anymore. Andy Murray case in point. Although I'll tune in to see him and hope he does well, I'm not really that arsed about any of it, certainly not like i used to be.
  • LoUiS1985
    LoUiS1985 Posts: 841
    I love tennis. love watching it, love playing it. But i hope Andy Murray doesn't win it, the same way he never wanted or wants anyone english to win it.

All English ppl will Scottish sporting prospects on and want them to do well, when the majority of Scottish like nothing more than to see us English collapse and be destroyed by our opponents. (NOTE: MOST, not all).

Very much like the way they won;t join up to make a team GB football team for the olympics, not that hardly any of them would be picked anyhow, cos scottish football is pants!!!

RANT OVER :twisted:
  • pirwin1
    pirwin1 Posts: 248
    LoUiS1985 wrote:
    All English ppl will Scottish sporting prospects on and want them to do well, when the majority of Scottish like nothing more than to see us English collapse and be destroyed by our opponents. (NOTE: MOST, not all).

Bit of a sweeping statement really. I know plenty of English people who want the Scots to get beat.
  • LoUiS1985
    Bit of a sweeping statement really. I know plenty of English people who want the Scots to get beat.

maybe slightly but the majority of scots can't bear to see the English to do well, including Andy Murray
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Call it historical legacy, same could be said for folk right the way round the globe. Get used to it. :lol:
  • LoUiS1985
    i am used to it, i just don't want the jock-strap to win wimbledon! :lol:
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Coverage over here is awful. They only stick with a match for 5-10 mins before switching to a different one, can't get into it at all.
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    I think basically what Murray did was prove that the English can't take a joke.
  • Andy
    What Murray did was prove that English people cannot take a joke.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    either way, i hope he does well, i find it hrd to find him interesting or likeable as he's a bit of a webster but i love to see brits doing well.

(of course if he loses, i will love to see scotland failing)
  • montevideoguy
    montevideoguy Posts: 2,271
    We just get fed up with some english media comments (e.g. when he wins he is a brit...when he loses he is Scottish)...little things like that
    Formally known as Coatbridgeguy
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Best Scottish sportsman is Jocky Wilson.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    i think terry wogan mentioned it yesterday during an interview, if he wins and whilst he is doing well, he is a british sporting hero, if he loses, he will be scottish again.
    I've heard that said before about other sportsmen but to be honest I can not recall ever seeing it happen. If you read articles about Murray you general see British and Scottish mentioned in reference to him. "The fired-up Scot seeks to be the first Briton to win Wimbledon since blah blah." There is no pattern, despite what the conspiracy theorists suggest.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • supersonic
    Well he's losing at the min. Looks jaded.
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Great news, who is he playing?
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • supersonic
    So guy with a very unpronouncable name.

Warnicink or summat.
  • Whytepeak
    Wawrinka is doing well :D
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    Murray looking slightly the stronger now. Has the look of a 5 setter this one.

The serbian chap has won 3 out of their 7 encounters so he has something that Murray doesn't like.
  • Andy
    He's Swiss not Serbian. Bloody Olympic gold medal winner at that.
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    Duh, why did I say Serbian ? :lol:

I even heard the commentator say he was Swiss half hour ago.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    streaming the beeb out here.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Whytepeak
    Murray is gonna lose it :D
  • Andy
    When?
  • Whytepeak
    Murray won :cry:
  • supersonic
    Good old Brit Murray!

20090629075199116328579.jpg

mmmm!
  • Whytepeak
    supersonic

See Muresmo (sp) play today ? :D
  • Whytepeak
    HeHe :lol:

Got work experience this week though - boo :(
  • Andy
    Manresmo?
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    The family was watching the tennis when I went out last night. Two-and-a-half hours later I was back and they were still there :shock: :D

Best bit was the slo-mo replay of the girl in the crowd in the red strappy top.