Duathlon

joeyhalloran
joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
Ok, i know this is BIKEradar but has anyone out there done a duathlon? I am planning ont aking part in the newmarket one, not far 3m/15m/2.5m but any training advice would be good. I have done a few TT so my cycling isn't to much of a problem, more the transition and the running.

Thanks guys/gals

Comments

• wizlyn
    wizlyn Posts: 5
    I'm coming the other way Joey: am a runner with a stress fracture who's just discovered the bike, and that she totally LOVES it :-).

Anyway as soon as the docs give me the OK to get back running again, I'd like to prepare for a duathlon - most likely the 10k/20k/5k in Richmond Park in Sept - and like you can't see any sign of decent training programmes anywhere.

Feel pretty confident in sorting my own training for running but haven't the first clue when it comes to the bike and still less with the scary notion of transition. Any ideas gratefully received.

Yours, former lurker and now convert to the BIKE side.
  • Shezzer
    Shezzer Posts: 229
    You'd be surprised at how similar the training is for each discipline. One thing to definitely get used to though is the feeling of jelly legs at the second transition (from bike to run). It feels like you're about to fall over at any minute. You should aim to do a few hard bike then run sessions to get used to the feeling and realise you won't actually fall over. If you have an hour to train then try doing 3 short bike/run reps. It'll also help you get quicker at transition (changing shoes, removing helmet etc).
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    How good to see duatletes, and duatheltines!

I’m not sure I have much specific training advice, other than refining your procedure in the transition zone, because an amazing amount of time can be lost there if you’re not organised. When I started duathlons, that was where I lost most time.

Also, I’d say not to take the first run, or the first 1-2 km of cycling, too fast, and to use the middle part of the cycling for hydration, so you don’t need any water during the last run. As for ‘jelly legs’, the more running you do, the easier you’ll find it to get into your stride after the second transition.
    In preparation for the second run, if the course suits, get out of the saddle towards the end of the cycling part, even if normally you wouldn’t do so. And if this is ridiculous, because of the course profile (like it’s downhill), at least ride the last km in a lower gear than normal.

I came to duathlons about 13 years ago, when an acquaintance, who was taking part in one, wanted company in an event he had set his heart on in doing well. He has since gone on to other things, but I got into duathlons then. I’ve since done about 20. It would have been more but for injury, or because datewise they conflicted with family plans.Two-thirds of mine have been 5/30/5 km on the road, the other third about 2/3 these distances as MTB duathlons.