Sorry dad...

whyamihere
whyamihere Posts: 7,702
edited July 2009 in The bottom bracket
Just built up my fixed gear, and it sounds like a bag of spanners. My dad and I had a look at it, and realised that the cheap sprocket I'm running is rough on the edges and needs filing down. Fine, I'll do it tomorrow I think.
My dad decided to have another look, and you can probably guess what's coming... Finger on chain, chain kept going, finger in between chainring and chain. Fortunately it wasn't spinning fast so he's just got a few cuts rather than a missing part of finger.

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Yikes!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • BigDarbs
    BigDarbs Posts: 132
    Tell your dad it could have been worse. My friend did this on a racing motorbike, lubing the chain with the engine running and in first gear, on a paddock stand, so the rear wheel was rotating slowly, but under power from the engine.

The rag got caught on the rear sprocket and it pulled his fingers into the chain/sproket gap. It amputated his left index finger at the knuckle very messily as it twisted when the sprocket did a revolution. It was too chewed up to sew back on!
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    BigDarbs wrote:
    Tell your dad it could have been worse. My friend did this on a racing motorbike, lubing the chain with the engine running and in first gear, on a paddock stand, so the rear wheel was rotating slowly, but under power from the engine.

The rag got caught on the rear sprocket and it pulled his fingers into the chain/sproket gap. It amputated his left index finger at the knuckle very messily as it twisted when the sprocket did a revolution. It was too chewed up to sew back on!

*throws lunch in bin* :lol:
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Ouch!!!
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Mark_K
    Mark_K Posts: 666
    BigDarbs wrote:

*throws lunch in bin* :lol:

PMSL :lol:
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I was cleaning the chain on my fixed earlier this week. Wasn't really concentrating and before I knew what was happening I had the tooth of the chain ring embedded in my knuckle. Jezzz it really hurt, was jumping round the garage shouting a lot.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Check out the images from Shledon Brown's (RIP) website:

fixiefinger.jpg
    fing-.jpg
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    BigDarbs wrote:

Former colleague did similar (no rag involved) and lost his thumb above the knuckle, we forgot about it after a couple of months. But until that time he did get a pasting for being so bloody stupiod
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Check out the images from Shledon Brown's (RIP) website:

fixiefinger.jpg
    fing-.jpg

Those are absolutely nasty.... There's no way a bike could do that is there? Motorbike may be....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • AMcD
    AMcD Posts: 236
    I have an American friend who has a missing big toe - I asked her what had happened - as a child she was cycling barefoot and her foot slipped off the pedal........... you guessed it, foot went straight into the chainring and it lopped her toe off at the base in one quick swoop :shock: . They couldn't sew it back on then - this was 60+ years ago.