spcialized v's commencal-my first full suspension!

julesd
julesd Posts: 7
edited June 2009 in MTB buying advice
hi i am new to this forum and wondered if anyone could give me some advice.

i have been riding a spesh rockhopper disc for 3 years and have been very happy with it. however today i have tried my very first full suspension ever and wow it was great - def got me keen to look into getting one.

my first thought would generally be to stick with specialized thinking maybe fsrxc - expert? however on trying this commencal meta 5.5..2 i am so tempted as i loved it.

however i have a niggle that long term, will il find it to heavy a bike (think was enjoying it as first time and did not really notice weight but may with time), i do enjoy red and black routes but i am not a really into jumping etc - prefer to roll over obstacles - altho must say was much faster on the commencal than i have ever been on my rockhopper, :lol: also enjoy long distance rides over moors etc

i have not had chance to try a specialized yet - but i am wondering are they generally more of a xc bike and would that suit me better?

any help/ideas really appreciated jules

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    try the spesh but id personally go for the meta

if you want a fun ride that will excite you everytime you ride it get the meta. f*** the weight :lol:

if you're more into just pacing yourself and not really throwing a bike about, the spesh is probably better. its longer so will be more comfortable and possibly more reliable

in my opinion the spesh is the boring choice, they're far to dull and inspire little confidence and enthusiasum. the meta is a hoot to ride and rewards an agresive rider. its the hardcore choice.
  • julesd
    see i use words like 'wow' i am obviously not hardcore :lol:
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    lol

in that case the spesh is the ride for you i think.

a friend has an fsr and he has just started. he loves it.

i hate it. it bores the living crap out of me tbh and alot of the "big" brands do tbh. they have no sence of style or excitement. id personally rather look at wacko jacko than a spesh .... :roll:
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    There is about 450g in weight difference between the two bikes.

So not such a big difference.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    lawman wrote:
    in my opinion the spesh is the boring choice, they're far to dull and inspire little confidence and enthusiasum. the meta is a hoot to ride and rewards an agresive rider. its the hardcore choice.
    For every brand fanboi there is a brand hater. Both have opinions that should be treated with suspicion.

To the OP. you should defo try out both bikes if you can but do not discount the FSRxc on lawmans comments alone. Take it from me - it is a bloody quality bike. Smooth, reliable, and inspires huge confidence on the trail and with 5in of travel and more relaxed geom for 09, it is not shy on the downhills either. It flies. I have the Comp which does have a slightly weak fork (in comparison to the rest of the package) so if you can spring for the Pro or Expert, then all the better.

You could also have a look at the Trek Fuels - nice bikes and I wass very close to getting one before finally going for the FSRxc. FRSxc is a bit more 'trail bike' than 'xc bike' these days and that suits me fine.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • julesd
    Daz555 wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    . FRSxc is a bit more 'trail bike' than 'xc bike' these days and that suits me fine.

sorry forgive my ignorance but what exactly is the difference between a trail and xc bike. i do the red and black routes at my local forest and enjoy moorland rides. looking at weights the meta according to edinburgh cycles is 31.7lbs compared to specialized pro at 27.7 seems to be quite a difference. i will def see if i can try a specialized i had also thought of maybe trying giant too. i even have the boardman niggling in the back of my mind after good reviews in what mb but just not keen to buy via halfords!

jules
  • KernowCB
    KernowCB Posts: 174
    I have just bought a stumpy elite and it is an absolute gem, I have never been more confident on a bike and it is so much fun to ride. I would say just try out as many different brands as you can and decided for yourself. As Daz says, you will always get people sticking up for the bike that they own or that they want to own....

Try the stumpy though ;)
    Whyte 905
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    lawman wrote:
    try the spesh but id personally go for the meta

if you want a fun ride that will excite you everytime you ride it get the meta. f*** the weight :lol:

if you're more into just pacing yourself and not really throwing a bike about, the spesh is probably better. its longer so will be more comfortable and possibly more reliable

+1
    spesh's tend to be quite boring, practicle, but boring. The bike works and the rider works, on the meta bike and rider work TOGETHER, it is the more involved, the more fun, the best!(and it looks cool)
    I like bikes and stuff
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Also consider the Trek Fuel (EX7 or above with the ABP system), Lapierre Zesty and Giant Trance. You probably won't be able to try all of them, but they're all good bikes.
  • frankieboy
    frankieboy Posts: 32
    Right i have just picked up a meta 5.5 second and looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove it its an awesome bike, the book says it weighs 29lbs the shop weighed it to as an experiment as my kona coiler (04) weighed 37lbs :shock: so for me i have gone alot lighter and i have noticed it.

The bike brings out the confidence in you so you say you don't try rock drops etc you will when you start riding this :twisted: !!!!!!!!!.

Go and and ride both and when you are trying rock drops on your new meta you will have the biggest grin :lol: with no regrets.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    there are not many folk who have ridden both of the bikes you are tempted by so reserve judgement and accept advice form folk who have experience as opposed to having read a review.

spesh are pretty much always slated for being boring bikes, yet they score well and sell in their thousands, a fairly decent accolade i reckon. the looks thing is subjective, i for example dont like the look of the meta (although i really like the colour schemes) but think spesh bikes are ace looking.

dont forget the meta and the fsr are different types of bike, a fairer comparison would be the meta 5 and an enduro or pitch.

the fsr is a trail bike, designed for most of the riding most folk do most of the time. the meta is an all mountain bike, designed to be ridden in the same way as a trail bike but longer travel for more fun on the way down and it doesnt matter how good a suspension system is, a heavier bike is harder work to climb with (esp if your weight quotes are correct).

always try if you are uncertain but the first thing to do is decide which type of bike you want, then make a short list.
  • joshtp
    there are not many folk who have ridden both of the bikes you are tempted by so reserve judgement and accept advice form folk who have experience as opposed to having read a review.

spesh are pretty much always slated for being boring bikes, yet they score well and sell in their thousands, a fairly decent accolade i reckon. the looks thing is subjective, i for example dont like the look of the meta (although i really like the colour schemes) but think spesh bikes are ace looking.

dont forget the meta and the fsr are different types of bike, a fairer comparison would be the meta 5 and an enduro or pitch.

the fsr is a trail bike, designed for most of the riding most folk do most of the time. the meta is an all mountain bike, designed to be ridden in the same way as a trail bike but longer travel for more fun on the way down and it doesnt matter how good a suspension system is, a heavier bike is harder work to climb with (esp if your weight quotes are correct).

always try if you are uncertain but the first thing to do is decide which type of bike you want, then make a short list.
    i dissagree, i think the meta is a trail bike, just a hard hitting one, its def not a AM bike!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Anonymous
    i think it is closer to a pitch or enduro than it is to a stumpjumper though.
  • LoUiS1985
    LoUiS1985 Posts: 841
    i think it is closer to a pitch or enduro than it is to a stumpjumper though.

gotta to agree there.

BTW get an enduro, class bike, easily going up and ace down (i'm not biased ,honest!!)
  • dvoodoo
    dvoodoo Posts: 46
    I have a 08 Stumpy FSR Expert and its cracking, I have had a shot of this years Cannondale Rush and the Commencal Meta 5.5 and its maybe me being biased however I prefer the Stumpy. Its a cracking all round bike and hasnt let me down on any of the stanes trails or laggan etc. I would go with what the others are saying and defo get some time on each and then make your decision.
  • julesd
    hi thanks for all the thoughts, comments and tips. i agree totally that i need to decide what kind of bike i need for the riding i do and i think that is partly were my problem lies. i am trying to cover every evantuality eg going out with my hubby and young son who both enjoy doing black/red runs but also i enjoy going out with the girls for longer rides over moors etc.

with out a doubt i have loved riding the meta, i went out again this morning and you are right it just brings me on no end, going down things so much faster and more confidently (altho worried i would get over confident and end up on my backside :lol:

i have been to try a spesh fsr xc pro today - was so hard to tell as the meta i have had for 2 sessions round forest, the spesh i rode around a tarmac carpark for 5 mins! it felt light - yeah but also stiff and not as much fun as meta - but as i said what can you really tell in a carpark. also called at another shop where he tried to interest me in a giant xc3 (no 2's left) or a cannondale prophet but could not ride either due to the weather.

maybe get to try them next week and confuse myself even more :? :?

jules
  • Anonymous
    tis a difficult and expensive choice but it sounds like you really love the meta so far. if you like it it might just be the right bike for you.
  • joshtp
    tis a difficult and expensive choice but it sounds like you really love the meta so far. if you like it it might just be the right bike for you.
    +1
    the meta is in my opinion the best bike, and is your fave, so......... get it! i think its probably right for you, i mean maybe there is something that is more "perfect" but you cant spend all your life looking, you'll never get to ride! and remember, if its good enough for Doddy, its good enough for you! :D
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Metas are very nice, i had a ride on one a while back and the certainly are special but the frame issues really put me off so i test rode a giant anthem, another great bike worthy of a try, wmb mountain bike of the year 2009 to boot. ;)
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X